Behavioral Health & Nutrition
015 Carpenter Sports Bldg.
- Nutrition and growth in healthy children and in children with chronic disease
- Measurement of total energy expenditure and energy intake
- Diet assessment
- Pediatric obesity
- Nutrition and growth in infancy
- PhD University of Wisconsin - Madison, 2003
- BS University of Delaware, 1991
2010 – present Assistant Professor, Department of Behavioral Health and Nutrition
University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware.
2006 – 2010 Associate Director, Clinical Research, Pfizer (formerly Wyeth) Nutrition,
2004 – 2006 Post-doctoral Fellow, Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia/University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
1998 – 2003 Graduate Student/Research Assistant, Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin.
1997 – 1998 Research Associate, Nutritional Epidemiology / Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin.
1991 – 1997 Clinical Dietitian, Department of Clinical Nutrition, The Children’s Hospital
of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- NTDT367 Nutrition in Early Infancy
- NTDT421 Nutrition Assessment
- NTDT451 Medical Nutrition Therapy II
- NTDT611 Advanced Nutrition
- NTDT667 Advanced Nutrition Assessment Principles
Mares-Perlman JA, Lyle BJ, Klein R, Fisher AI, Brady WE, VandenLangenberg GM, Trabulsi J, Palta M. Vitamin supplement use and incident cataracts in a population-based study.
Arch Ophthalmol. 2000 Nov;118(11):1556-63.
Trabulsi J, Schoeller DA. Evaluation of dietary assessment instruments against doubly labeled water, a biomarker of habitual energy intake. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Nov;281(5):E891-9. Review. PMID: 11595643.
Blanc S, Colligan AS, Trabulsi J, Harris T, Everhart JE, Bauer D, Schoeller DA. Influence of delayed isotopic equilibration in urine on the accuracy of the 2H218O method in the elderly. J Appl Physiol. 2002 Mar;92(3):1036-44. PMID: 11842037.
Subar AF, Kipnis V, Troiano RP, Midthune D, Schoeller DA, Bingham S, Sharbaugh CO, Trabulsi J, Runswick S, Ballard-Barbash R, Sunshine J, Schatzkin A. Using intake biomarkers to evaluate the extent of dietary misreporting in a large sample of adults: the OPEN study. Am J Epidemiol. 2003 Jul 1;158(1):1-13. PMID: 12835280.
Trabulsi J, Troiano RP, Subar AF, Sharbaugh C, Kipnis V, Schatzkin A, Schoeller DA. Precision of the doubly labeled water method in a large-scale application: evaluation of a streamlined-dosing protocol in the Observing Protein and Energy Nutrition (OPEN) study. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2003 Nov;57(11):1370-7. PMID: 14576749.
Trabulsi J, Schall JI, Ittenbach RF, Olsen IE, Yudkoff M, Daikhin Y, Zemel BS, Stallings VA.
Energy balance and the accuracy of reported energy intake in preadolescent children with cystic fibrosis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Sep;84(3):523-30. PMID: 16960165.
Trabulsi J, Ittenbach RF, Schall JI, Olsen IE, Yudkoff M, Daikhin Y, Zemel BS, Stallings VA.
Evaluation of formulas for calculating total energy requirements of preadolescent children with cystic fibrosis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Jan;85(1):144-51. PMID: 17209190.
Davis AM, Harris BJ, Lien EL, Pramuk K, Trabulsi J. Alpha-lactalbumin-rich infant formula fed to healthy term infants in a multicenter study: plasma essential amino acids and gastrointestinal tolerance. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008 Nov;62(11):1294-301. Epub 2007 Jul 25. PMID: 17657228.
Bergqvist AG, Trabulsi J, Schall JI, Stallings VA. Growth failure in children with intractable epilepsy is not due to increased resting energy expenditure.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2008 Jun;50(6):439-44. Epub 2008 Apr 17. PMID: 18422677.
- Trabulsi J, Capeding R, Lebumfacil J, Ramanujam K, Feng P, McSweeney S, Harris B, DeRusso P. Effect of an α-lactalbumin-enriched infant formula with lower protein on growth. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2011 Feb;65(2):167-74. Epub 2010 Nov 10.PMID: 21063429.
- Mennella JA, Trabulsi JC. Complementary foods and flavor experiences: setting the foundation. Ann Nutr Metab. 2012;60 Suppl 2:40-50. Epub 2012 Apr 27. PMID: 22555188.
- Trabulsi JC, Mennella JA. Diet, sensitive periods in flavour learning, and growth. Int Rev Psychiatry. 2012 Jun;24(3):219-30. PMID: 22724643.
- University of Delaware Research Foundation
Role: Principal Investigator
“Energy balance in infants with ‘rapid’ versus ‘normal’ weight gain.”
Project Period: 06/01/11 – 05/31/13
- NIH 1R01HD072307-01
Role: Co-Principal Investigator (Menella and Trabulsi, Co-PIs).
“Impact of diet composition during infancy on energy balance, satiety, and growth”.
Project Period: 04/01/2012 – 03/31/2017
- General University Research (GUR)
Role: Co-Principal Investigator (Papas and Trabulsi, Co-PIs)
“Identification of infants at risk for obesity using early markers of rapid weight gain”.
Project Period: 06/01/12 – 05/31/13