Charles (Buz) B. Swanik
Kinesiology & Applied Physiology
151 Human Performance Lab
- Sensorimotor Aspects of Musculoskeletal Pathology
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Knee Injuries
- Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh, 1998
- M.S., University of Pittsburgh, 1995
- B.S., Pennsylvania State University, 1991
- 2005-Present Assistant Professor, Department of Health, Nutrition & Exercise Science, Faculty, Biomechanics and Movement Science Program,University of Delaware
- 2002-Present Clinical Instructor, National Athletic Trainers’ Association
- 2003-2005 Director, Biokinetics Research Laboratory, Temple University
- 2001-2003 Course Coordinator, Human Anatomy & Physiology
- 1999-2005 Assistant Professor and Program Director, Accredited Graduate Athletic Training Program, Temple University
- 1998-1998 Assistant Professor, Graduate Curriculum Director, Athletic Training, West Virginia University
- 1997-1998 Laboratory Coordinator, Neuromuscular Research Laboratory
- 1996-1998 Research Coordinator, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 1994-1998 Clinical Supervisor and Instructor, University of Pittsburgh
- 1991-1997 Certified Athletic Trainer, Pennsylvania, New Jersey.
- HESC 449, Advances Topics in Sports Medicine
- HESC 400, Research Methods
- HESC 667, Sensorimotor Aspects of Injury
- Swanik, C.B., Harner, C.D., Klimkiewicz, J., & Lephart S.M. (2006) Neuropathophysiology of knee injuries. In J.N. Insall and W.N. Scott (Ed.), Surgery of the Knee (4th ed.). Philadelphia PA: Elsevier Inc. (In Print)
- Swanik, C.B., Lephart, S.M., Swanik, K.A., Stone, D.A., & Fu F.H. (2004). Neuromuscular dynamic restraint in women with anterior Cruciate ligament injuries. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 425, 189-199.
- Hamstra, K.L., Swanik, C.B., & Sitler, M.S. (2006) Gender comparisons of dynamic restraint and motor skill in children. Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. 16(1), 56-62.
- Hamstra, K.H., Swanik, C.B., Swanik, K.A., & Ennis, T.E. (2005) Joint stiffness and pain in individuals with patellofemoral syndrome. Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 35(8), 495-501
- Hart, J.M., & Swanik, C.B., Tierney, R.T (2005) The effects of sports massage on limb girth and discomfort associated with eccentric exercise. Journal of Athletic Training, 40(3), 181-185.
- Tierney, R.T., Sitler, M.R., Swanik, C.B., Swanik K.A., Higgins, M., & Torg, J. (2005). Gender differences in head-neck segment dynamic stabilization during head acceleration. Medicine & Science in Sport & Exercise, 37(2), 272-279.
Honors, Awards, and Major Professional Offices Held
- Editor, Journal of Sport Rehabilitation (2004-Present)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Athletic Therapy Today, (2002-2003)
- Member, National Athletic Trainers’ Association (1991-Present)
- Member, Post-Professional Education Committee National Athletic Trainers’ Association (2005-Present)
- Member, Free Communications Subcommittee, National Athletic Trainers’ Association Research and Education Foundation (2001-2004)
- First Place Winner for Scientific Exhibit, Sports Medicine/Arthroscopy Section. (February 2005) American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Swanik CB , Swanik KA, Huxel KC, Tierney RT, Hamstra KL, Hillstrom, HJ. Drop Jumps from an Unknown Height: A Gender Comparison of EMG and Kinematics, Washington. D.C.
- Outstanding Research Manuscript (1999) National Athletic Trainers’ Association, Swanik, C.B., Lephart, S.M., Giraldo, J.L., DeMont, R.G., & Fu, F.H. Journal of Athletic Training, 34(2), 121-129.
- Outstanding Research Manuscript: First Runner-Up. (1999) National Athletic Trainers’ Association, DeMont, R.G., Lephart, S.M., Giraldo J.L., Swanik, C.B., & Fu, F.H. Journal of Athletic Training, 34(2), 115-120.
- Outstanding Research Manuscript: First Runner-Up. (1997) National Athletic Trainers’ Association, Swanik C.B., Henry T.J., & Lephart S.M. Journal of Athletic Training, 31(2), 119-125.