Karyl T. Rattay
Delaware Division of Public Health
121 E. Wilkerdean Drive
Newark, DE 19711
The Delaware Division of Public Health has an annual budget in excess of $140 Million and over 700 employees. The Director is appointed by the governor and serves as the Chief Executive of the Division. She is accountable for providing leadership and direction to the agency.
- Preventive Medicine Residency (July 2000 – July 2002)
Masters of Science in Epidemiology (August 2001)
University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland
- Pediatric Residency (June 1992 – June 1995)
Georgetown University Hospital, Washington D.C. (PGY 1 and 3)
West Virginia University, Morgantown WV (PGY 2)
- Medical Doctorate (June 1992)
Medical University of Ohio, Toledo, Ohio
- Bachelor of Arts (June 1987)
Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio
Major Fields: Zoology and Premedicine
- Delaware Division of Public Health
May 2009 – Present
- Nemours Health and Prevention Services (NHPS)
Pediatric Preventive Medicine Physician
Lead, Child Obesity Initiative
June 2004-May 2009
- U.S Department of Health & Human Services (HHS)
Office of the Secretary/Office of Public Health and Science
Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
Senior Public Health and Clinical Health Advisor
September 2001-June 2004
Recent Publications/Books & Publications
- Rattay KT, Ramakrishnan M, Atkinson A, Gilson M, Drayton V. Use of an electronic medical record system to support primary care recommendations to prevent, identify, and manage childhood obesity. Pediatrics. 2009 Jan;123 Suppl 2:S100-7.
- Chang, Bultman, Drayton, Knight, Rattay, Barrett. Beyond Medical Care: How Health Systems Can Address Children’s Needs Through Health Promotion Strategies. Health Affairs. 2007; 26(2):466-473.
- American Heart Association, Gidding S, Dennison B, Birch L, Daniels S, Gilman M, Lichtenstein A, Rattay K, Steinberger J, Van Horn L. Dietary Recommendations for Children and Adolescents: A Guide for Practitioners. Pediatrics, February 1, 2006; 117(2): 544 – 559.
- Gidding S, Dennison B, Birch L, Daniels S, Gilman M, Lichtenstein A, Rattay K, Steinberger J, Van Horn L; AHA; AAP. Dietary Recommendations for Children and Adolescents: A Guide for Practitioners: Consensus Statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2005;112(13):2061-75.
- Rattay K, Fulton J, Galuska D. Weight Counseling Patterns of U.S. Pediatricians. Obes Res 2004;12(1)161-169.
- Fulton J, Garg M, Galuska D, Rattay K, Casperson C. Review of Public Health and Clinical Recommendations for Physical Activity and Physical Fitness With a Special Focus on Overweight Youth. Sports Med 2004;34(9):581-599.
- Thomas K, McCusker. Development of a soy food frequency questionnaire to estimate isoflavone consumption on a health professions campus. Abstract published in The Journal of Nutrition. Nov 2001: 131(11S), p3148s.*Abstract presented at the A.T.P.M annual meeting, Savannah Georgia, April, 2001 and at the A.I.C.R. annual meeting, Washington D.C., July, 2001.
- Sussex Collaborative Healthy Eating and Physical Activity Programs, November 2005
- Steps to a HeathierUS Cooperative Agreement Program, August, 2003
- American College of Preventive Medicine Fellow (2002-Present)
- American Academy of Pediatrics Fellow (1995 – Present)
- American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Sports Medicine - member
- American Academy of Pediatrics Delaware Chapter – member and Liaison to Delaware Medical Society
- American Teachers of Preventive Medicine - member
- American Medical Athletic Association - member
- American Medical Association - member
- Medical Society of Delaware – member
Environment and Public Health Subcommittee – member
School Health Subcommittee - member
- NAASO – The Obesity Society – member
- Delaware Action for Healthy Kids-member