Allen V. Prettyman, PhD, FNP-BC
Director - Nurse Managed Health Center
Assistant Professor School of Nursing
School of Nursing
355 McDowell Hall
- Ph.D., University of Delaware, Human Development and Family Studies
- MSN, Wilmington University, Family Nurse Practitioner
- BSN, Wilmington University
- Diploma of Nursing, Nursing School of Wilmington
- Family Nurse Practitioner 1995 – present
- Nurse Managed Health Centers – Quality Indicators and Outcomes
- E-learning for Adults
Member of the Delaware Nurses Association 1990 - present
Member of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners 1995 - present
Member of APN Council of Delaware 1995 - present
Member of the American College of Nurse Practitioners 1998 - present
Member Delaware Board of Nursing - APN Issues Advisory Committee 2001 – present
Member Sigma Theta Tau International – Beta Xi Chapter 2003 – present
Member Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society – Family and Consumer Sciences 2005 – present
Honors & Awards
- Delaware Nurse of the Year 1998
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners - Delaware State Award for Excellence 2001
- Delaware Today - Excellence in Nursing Award - #1 Family Nurse Practitioner - 2013
- Prettyman, A. V. (2011). Development of Professional Education Curriculum for Early Childhood Educators: Supporting Partnerships with Families (Doctoral dissertation).University of Delaware, Newark DE.
- Greaney, J. L., Ray, C. A., Prettyman, A. V., Edwards, D. G., & Farquhar, W. B. (2010). Influence of increased plasma osmolality on sympathetic outflow during apnea.The American Journal of Physiology, 299, R1091-R1096.
Prettyman, A., & Kapustin, J. (2009). Should NP Student Programs Continue to Require a Set Number of Direct Clinical Hours?. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 5(8), 590-591.
- Erlinda Wheeler, Allen Prettyman, M. James Lenhard, Kim Tran (2008). Adherence to outpatient program postoperative appointments after bariatric surgery. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, Vol. 4, Issue 4, 515-520.
- Farquhar, W. B., Wenner, M. M., Delaney, E. P., Prettyman, A. V., & Stillabower, M. E. (2006). Sympathetic neural responses to increased osmolality in humans. American journal of physiology. Heart and circulatory physiology, 291(5), H2181-2186. Epub: 2006 Jun 2109.
- Wenner, M. M., Prettyman, A. V., Maser, R. E., & Farquhar, W. B. (2006). Preserved autonomic function in amenorrheic athletes. Journal of applied physiology: respiratory, Aug, 101(2), 590-597.
- Farquhar, W.B., Paul, E.E. Prettyman, A.V. & Stillabower, M.E. (2005). Blood pressure and hemodynamic responses to an acute sodium load in humans. Journal of Applied Physiology, 99, 1545–1551.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Diagnosis and Management, The American Journal of Nurse Practitioners; September 2001, Vol. 5, No 8, pg 27-32.
- Focus on Primary Disease Prevention - A Model System, Nurse Practitioner World News; July/August 2000, Vol. 5, No 4.
- Editorial Response - Funding APN’s Tuition Could Improve Care, The News Journal; September 13, 2000.
Scholarly Research-based Presentations
- Overweight Grandchildren the Grandparents Perspective - Poster, 2006 Annual Conference of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Obesity Prevention: Promoting Child Health and Wellness in Early Childhood Curriculum – Presentation, 2006 Annual Conference of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- BMI & Breast Feeding the Relationship to the Development of Childhood Obesity - presentation, APN Council of Delaware – March 2006 Annual APN Clinical Conference
- A team approach to the treatment of obesity, Abstract #44287 – Poster,The 130th Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association. 11/12/2002