Behavioral Health & Nutrition
013 Carpenter Sports Bldg.
- Dietary Intakes and Obesity Across the Lifespan
- Obesity and the Built Environment
- Maternal and Child Health
- Congenital Hearing Loss
- Cancer Screening and Cancer Prevention in Populations
- PhD, Johns Hopkins University, 2006
- MS, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1997
- BS, Fairfield University, 1994
- 2011 - present, Assistant Professor, Behavioral Health and Nutrition Department, University of Delaware, Newark, DE
- 2007 - present, Adjunct Assistant Professor, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
- 2010 - 2011, Adjunct Professor, Medical Science and Community Health Department, Arcadia University, Glenside, PA
- 2006 - 2007, Post-Doctoral Fellow, Pediatrics Department, School of Medicine, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
- HLPR/UAPP 211 Introduction to Public Health
- HLPR/UAPP 222 Introduction to Epidemiology
- BHAN 326 Research Methods and Statistics
- Black MM, Hager ER, Le K, Anliker J, Arteaga SS, Diclemente C, Gittelsohn J, Magder L, Papas MA, Snitker S, Treuth MS, Wang Y. Challenge! Health promotion/obesity prevention mentorship model among urban, black adolescents. Pediatrics. 2010 Aug;126(2):280-8. Epub 2010 Jul 26.
- Ramos-Marcuse F, Oberlander SE, Papas MA, McNary SW, Hurley KM, Black MM. Stability of maternal depressive symptoms among urban low-income African American adolescent mothers. J Affect Disord 2010 Apr;122(1-2):68-75. Epub 2009 Jul 16.
- Papas MA, Hurley KM, Quigg AM, Oberlander SE, Black MM. Low-income African American adolescent mothers and their toddlers exhibit similar dietary variety patterns. J Nutr Educ Behav 2009 Mar-Apr;42(2): 87-94.
- Hurley KH, Black MM, Papas MA, Quigg AM. Variation in breastfeeding behaviors, perceptions, and experiences by race/ethnicity among a low-income statewide sample of WIC participants Matern Child Nutr. 2008 Apr;4(2):95-105.
- Hurley KH, Black MM, Papas MA, Caulfield, LE. Maternal symptoms of stress, depression, and anxiety are related to nonresponsive feeding styles in a statewide sample of WIC participants. J Nutr. 2008 Apr;138(4):799-805.
- Papas MA, Alberg AJ, Ewing R, Helzlsouer KJ, Gary TJ, Klassen AC. The built environment and obesity: Epidemiol Rev. 2007;29:129-43. Epub 2007 May 28. Review.
- Black MM, Bentley ME, Papas MA, Oberlander SA, Teti LO, McNary S, Le K, O’Connell M. Delaying Second Births among Adolescent Mothers: A Randomized Controlled Trial of a Home-based Mentoring Program. Pediatrics. 2006 Oct;118(4):e1087-99.
- Mitola AL, Papas MA, Black MM. Agreement with satisfaction in adolescent body image between female caregivers and teens from a low-income African American community. Journal of Pediatric Psychology. 2007 Jan-Feb;32(1):42-51. Epub 2006 Jun 8.
- Black MM, Papas MA, Bentley ME, Cureton PA, Mobley AS, Le K, Anliker J, and Robinson N. Overweight adolescent African American mothers gain weight in spite of intention to lose weight. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2006 Jan;106(1):80-7.
- Koverola C, Papas MA, Pitts S, Black MM, Dubowitz H. A longitudinal investigation of the relationship between maternal victimization, depressive symptoms, social support and children’s behavior and development at age 8. J Interpers Violence. 2005 Dec;20(12):1523-46.
- Papas MA and Klassen A. Pain and discomfort associated with mammography among urban, low-income African American women. Journal of Community Health. 2005 Aug;30(4):253-267.
- Papas MA, Platz EA, and Giovannucci E. Fiber from fruit and colorecatal neoplasia. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2004 Aug;13(8):1267-70.
- Hess CR, Papas MA, Black MM. Use of the Bayley Infant Neurodevelopmental Screener with an Environmental Risk Group. J Pediatr Psychol. 2004 Jul-Aug;29(5):321-30.
- Gavin LE, Black MM, Minor S, Abel Y, Papas MA, Bentley ME. Young Disadvantaged Fathers' Involvement With Their Infants: An Ecological Perspective. J Adolesc Health. 2002 Sep;31(3):266-76.
- Black MM, Papas MA, Hussey JM, Hunter W, Dubowitz H, Kotch J, English D, Schneider MW. Behavior and development of preschool children born to adolescent mothers: risk and three-generation households. Pediatrics. 2002:109(4):573 –80.
- Dubowitz H, Papas MA, Black MM, Starr RH. Child Neglect: Outcomes in high-risk urban preschoolers. Pediatrics. 2002:109(6):1100 – 7.
- Black MM, Papas MA, Hussey JM, Dubowitz H, Kotch J, Starr RH. Behavior problems among preschool children born to adolescent mothers: effects of maternal depression and perceptions of partner relationships. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. 2002:31(1):16 – 26.
- American Public Health Association
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- American College of Epidemiology
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Society for Clinical Nutrition
- Society for International Nutrition Research
- American Society for Nutritional Science