Veronica P.S. Njie-Carr, PhD, ACNS-BC
School of Nursing
335 McDowell Hall
Post-doctoral Fellow. Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD
Focus: Multidisciplinary Health Disparities Research
Ph.D. The Catholic University of America. Washington, D.C.
Focus: Nursing Science
M.S.N. The Catholic University of America. Washington, D.C.
Focus: Adult Health Nursing and Nursing Education
B.S.N. Howard University. Washington, D.C.
- Clinical Nurse Specialist in Adult Health
- 2011 – present, Assistant Professor, University of Delaware, College of Health Sciences, Newark, DE
- 2007 – 2008, Assistant Professor and Course Coordinator, Howard University, Washington, DC
- 2004 – 2007, Instructor, Johns Hopkins University, School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD
- 2002 – 2004, Teaching Assistant, The Catholic University of America School of Nursing, Washington, DC
- 1997 – 2002, Assistant Professor and Course Coordinator, Baltimore City Community College, Baltimore, MD
- 1996 – 1997, Instructor, Montgomery College, Takoma Park, MD
Teaching and Instruction
- NURS480 Clinical Integration Seminar II
- NURS473 Adult Health Nursing II
- NURS412 Issues and Challenges in Global Health
- NURS609 Nursing Science: Theory and Research
- Nursing Practice: Dr. Njie-Carr’s program of research is to reduce health disparities among people of African heritage at risk or living with HIV/AIDS. Specific areas of interest are:
- HIV/AIDS and health disparities
- Women’s health
- Cross-cultural research
- Nursing Education: Her research interest related to nursing education is evaluation of teaching effectiveness.
Completed Recent Funded Research
- HIV Transmission Risks among African American Partners, 2/2010 – 1/2011. Project Investigator, Njie-Carr (PI: Dr. Thomas LaVeist – Hopkins Center for Health Disparities Solutions). Hopkins Center for Health Disparities Solutions of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, a Center of Excellence in Minority Health and Health Disparities supported by grant # P60MD000214 from the National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities of the National Institutes of Health. $15, 000.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Njie-Carr, V. (in review). HIV Risk Behaviors among Abused African American Women and Perceptions of Male Perpetrators’ Role: A Concurrent Mixed Methods Study. Advances in Nursing Science.
- Chang, L., Njie-Carr, V. Kalenge, S., Kelley, J., Bollinger, R., & Alamo-Talisuna-S. (in review). Perceptions and acceptability of mHealth interventions for improving patient care at a community-based clinic in Uganda: A mixed methods study. AIDS Care.
- Njie-Carr, V, Draughon, J., Rollins, C., Clough, A., Barnes, J., & Glass, N. (in review). “Having Housing Made Everything Else Possible”: Affordable, Safe and Stable Housing for Women Survivors of Violence. International Journal of Housing.
- Njie-Carr, V., Kalenge´, S., Kelley, J., Wilson, A., Muliira, J., Nabirye, R., Glass, N., Bollinger, R., Alamo-Talisuna, S., & Chang, L. (2012). Research Capacity Building Program for Clinicians and Staff at a Community-Based HIV/AIDS Clinic in Uganda: A Pre/Post Evaluation. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care 23 (5), 431-441. DOI:10.1016/j.jana.2011.11.002.
- Njie-Carr, V., Sharps, P., Campbell, D., & Callwood, G. (2012) Experiences of HIV Positive Childbearing Women: A Qualitative Study. Journal of the National Black Nurses Association, 23 (1), 21-28.
- Njie-Carr, V.P.S. (2009). Knowledge, Attitudes, Cultural, Social, and Spiritual Beliefs on Health-Seeking Behaviors of Gambian Adults with HIV/AIDS. International Journal of Culture and Mental Health, 2 (2), 118-128.
- Njie, V. P. S., & Thomas, A. (2001). Quality Issues in Clinical Research and the Implications on Health Policy. Journal of Professional Nursing, 17 (5), 233 - 242.
- Glass, N., Campbell, J.C., Njie-Carr, V., & Thompson, T. A. (2010). Ending Violence Against Women: Essential to Global Health and Human Rights. Parker, R., & Sommer, M. (Eds). Global Health Handbook.
- Njie, V. P. S. (2002). Cirrhosis (pp. 549 – 555). In George-Gay, B., & Chernecky, C. Saunders Manual of Medical-Surgical Nursing: A Guide for Clinical Decision Making. Saunders.
- Njie, V. P S. (2002). Renal Failure (pp. 847 – 855). In George-Gay, B., & Chernecky, C. Saunders Manual of Medical-Surgical Nursing: A guide for Clinical Decision Making. Saunders.
- Njie, V. (2002). Gastrointestinal Specimen Collection and Gastric Lavage (pp. 98 – 101). In George-Gay, B., & Chernecky, C. Saunders Manual of Medical-Surgical Nursing: A Guide for Clinical Decision Making. Saunders.
- Njie-Carr, V.P.S., & Glass, N.E. (2010). The new nurse investigator. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care 21(6), 459-462.DOI: 10.1016/j.jana.2010.03.001
Selected Paper Presentations
- Njie-Carr, V. (9/2012). HIV Risk Behaviors among Abused African American Women and Perceptions of Male Perpetrators’ Role: A Concurrent Mixed Methods Study. Paper presented at the Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science, Washington, DC.
- Njie-Carr, V., (12/2011). Research Capacity Building Program at a Community-Based HIV/AIDS Clinic in Kampala, Uganda: An Evaluation. Paper presented at the 3rd Scientific Conference of the Scientific Society of Arab Nursing Faculties on Quality Nursing Education and Services, Khartoum, Sudan.
- Sharps, P., Njie-Carr, V., & Campbell, D. (10/2009). Faith, Courage, and Pray: Pregnant and Parenting Women’s HIV/AIDS Experiences. Second Annual Health Disparities Conference of the Center for Exploratory Research in the United States Virgin Islands.
- Sharps, P., Njie-Carr, V., & Campbell, D. (8/2009). Knowledge, Attitudes, Beliefs, and Decision-Making of Parent and Parenting Women of African Heritage at Risk or Living with HIV/AIDS: A Cross National Study. National Black Nurses Association Conference in Toronto, Canada.
- Njie-Carr, V.P.S. (3/2008). The Development and Psychometric Evaluation of the HIV/AIDS Knowledge, Attitudes, and Beliefs Patient Questionnaire: Preliminary Results. MEC Conference at Howard University, Washington, DC.
- Njie-Carr, V. P.S. (11/2007). The Influence of Attitudes, Beliefs, and Knowledge on Health- Seeking Behaviors of Adults Living with HIV/AIDS in The Gambia. The Association of Nurses in AIDS Care Conference, Orlando, Florida.
- Njie, V.P.S. (9/2004). Issues in Educating the Doctoral Nursing Student. National League for Nursing Summit. Orlando, Florida.
Selected Poster/ePoster Presentations
- Njie-Carr, V., Alamo-Talisuna, S., Nanyunja, J., & Chang, L. (2011). Evaluation of a research capacity building program at a community-based HIV/AIDS clinic in Uganda. ePoster presented at the International AIDS Society Conference, Rome, Italy.
Njie-Carr, V., Draughon, J., Rollins, C., Clough, A., & Glass, N., (10/2009). Safe and Affordable Housing for Women Survivors of Violence: Preliminary Findings. NINR special sessions conference in Washington, DC.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, New Connections Research and Coaching Clinic, National Harbor, MD. 9/2012
- Scholarship recipient, Zonta International. Washington, DC. 11/2006
Selected Professional Activities/Service
- Faculty Consultant for MSN program, The Gambia College, School of Nursing and Midwifery through The University of The Gambia. Gambia 6/2012
- Editorial Board Member – Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 9/2009
- Research Specialty Committee – grant and manuscript reviewer. ANAC, 8/2006
- American Nurses Association
- Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- Maryland Nurses Association
- National Black Nurses Association
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Southern Nursing Research Society