Medical Laboratory Sciences
305-F Willard Hall Educ. Bldg.
- Complications of Diabetes
- Autonomic Nervous System Function
My research focuses on obesity, diabetes mellitus and the complications that are associated with diabetes. I have a particular interest in diabetic neuropathy (i.e., damage to the nerves). Most of my efforts are in the areas of measuring nerve function and searching for potential treatment modalities for nerve dysfunction. The twin epidemics of obesity and diabetes represent a major public health problem worldwide. Obesity seriously increases an individual’s risk of developing many health problems including type 2 diabetes. The prevalence of diabetes is projected to double over the next 25 years. It is estimated that approximately 60% of individuals with diabetes have some form of damage to the nervous system. Nerve damage in individuals with diabetes results in impaired sensation of the lower extremities, which may lead to amputation. Diabetes can also cause damage to nerves that innervate the heart and blood vessels, leading to an increased risk of death. It is vital to find new therapies to stop the development and progression of nerve dysfunction in order to reduce both morbidity and mortality.
- Doctor of Philosophy Epidemiology University of Pittsburgh
- Master of Science Medical Technology Catholic University of America
- Bachelor of Science Biology Elizabethtown College
- Maser RE, Lenhard MJ, Peters MB, Irgau I, Wynn GM. The effects of surgically-induced weight loss via Roux-en-Y gastric bypass on cardiovascular autonomic nerve function. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, IN PRESS
- Maser RE, Kolm P, Modlesky CM, Beck TJ, Lenhard MJ. Hip strength in adults with type 1 diabetes is associated with age at onset of diabetes. J Clin Densitometry 2012;15:78-85.
- Vinik AI, Maser RE, Ziegler D. Autonomic imbalance: prophet of doom or scope for hope? Diabetic Medicine 2011;28:643-651.
- Gopal R, Lenhard MJ, Maser RE. Renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system blockers for patients with diabetes. What role for direct renin inhibition? Practical Diabetology 2011;30:14-24.
- Vinik AI, Maser RE, Ziegler D. Neuropathy: the crystal ball for cardiovascular disease? Diabetes Care 2010;33:1688-1690.
- Vinik AI, Maser RE. Screening for asymptomatic coronary artery disease in patients with type 2 diabetes. JAMA 2009;302:735-736.
- Maser RE, Stabley JN, Lenhard MJ, Provost-Craig AM. Autonomic nerve fiber function and bone mineral density in individuals with type 1 diabetes: A cross-sectional study. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 2009;84:252-258.