Marie F. Kuczmarski
Behavioral Health & Nutrition
010 Carpenter Sports Building
- PhD, Rutgers University, 1979
- MS, Rutgers University, 1977
- BS, Douglass College, 1974
- Nutrition and aging
- Diet and Health
- Cultural dietary patterns
- 1985 – present, Professor, University of Delaware
- 1988-1989, Service Fellow, National Center for Health Statistics, DHHS
- 1980-1985, Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- Healthy Aging in Neighborhoods of Diversity across the Life Span (HANDLS) study, NIA, NIH
Recent Publications/Books & Publications
Fanelli Kuczmarski M, Jones EM. The Spice Kitchen: Apprenticeship Training in Culinary Skills. Creative Education. 2012;3 (8): 1390-1396
Adler Olesnevich ME, Fanelli Kuczmarski M, Mason M, Fang C, Zonderman AB, Evans MK. Serum ferritin levels associated with increased risk for developing CHD in a low-income urban population. Public Health Nutrition 2012; 15(7): 1291-1298. Available on CJO 2012 doi:10.1017/S1368980011003284
Casagrande SS, Franc M, Gittelsohn J, Zonderman A, Evans M, Kuczmarski-Fanelli M, Gary-Webb T. Healthy food availability and the association with body mass index in Baltimore, Maryland. Public Health Nutrition, 2011; 14(6): 1001-1007. doi:10.1017/S1368980010003812
Fanelli Kuczmarski M, Mason MA, Schwenk EA, Evans ME, Zonderman AB, Beverage Consumption Patterns of a Low-Income Population. Top Clin Nutr. 2010; 25(2):1-11.
Fanelli Kuczmarski M, Weddle DO, Jones EM. Maintaining Functionality in Later Years: A Review of Nutrition and Physical Activity: Interventions in Postmenopausal Women. 2010: J Nutr for the Elderly, 29:259–292.
Rozgony NR, Fang C, Fanelli Kuczmarski M, Harold B. Vitamin B12 Deficiency is Linked with Long-Term Use of Proton Pump Inhibitors in Institutionalized Older Adults: Could a Cyanocobalamin Nasal Spray be Beneficial? J Nutr. for the Elderly. 2010; 29(1):87-99.
Evans MK, Lepkowski JM, Powe NR, LaVeist T, Fanelli Kuczmarski M, Zonderman AB. Healthy Aging in Neighborhoods of Diversity across the Life Span (HANDLS): A longitudinal, epidemiologic, urban study of health, race, and socioeconomic status. Ethnicity & Disease. 2010;20:267-275.
Raffensperger S, Kuczmarski MF, Hotchkiss L, Cotugna N, Evans MK, Zonderman AB. Effect of race and predictors of socioeconomic status on diet quality in the HANDLS study sample. J Natl Med Assoc. 2010; 102(10):923-930.
Fanelli Kuczmarski M, Cremer Sees A, Hotchkiss L, Cotugna N, Evans MK, Zonderman AB. Higher Healthy Eating Index-2005 scores associated with reduced symptoms of depression in an urban population: Findings from the Healthy Aging in Neighborhoods of Diversity Across the Life Span (HANDLS) study. J Am Diet Assoc. 2010;110(3):383-9.
Beydoun MA, Kuczmarski MF, Wang Y, Mason MA, Evans MK, Zonderman AB. Receiver-operating characteristics of adiposity for metabolic syndrome: the Healthy Aging in Neighborhoods of Diversity across the Life Span (HANDLS) study. Public Health Nutr. 2010:1-16.
Beydoun MA, Fanelli Kuczmarski M, Beydoun HA, Shroff MR, Mason MA, Evans MK, Zonderman AB. The sex-specific role of plasma folate in mediating the association of dietary quality with depressive symptoms. J Nutr. 2010;140(2):338-47.
Honors & Awards
- Member, Editorial Board Journal of Nutrition in Gerontology and Geriatrics
- Member, Steering Committee, National Nutrient Databank Conference
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, Healthy Aging in Neighborhoods of Diversity across the Life Span study
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Gerontological Society of America, American Society for Nutrition
- NTDT350 Nutrition and Older Adults
- NTDT400 Macronutrients
- NTDT445 Teaching Methods
- NTDT475 Transcultural Foods and Cuisine