Paula R. Klemm
Assistant Director of Research and Development/Professor
School of Nursing
303 McDowell Hall
- PhD, The Catholic University of America, Nursing Education
- MS, University of Maryland, Nursing Education
- BSN, Stony Brook University
- BA, Fredonia State College, Sociology
- Internet support for cancer patients and caregivers
- Psychosocial adjustment to illness
- Academic-Community engagement and outreach to people with cancer
Recent Scholarship/ Grants
- NCRR/NIH 5P20RR016472-12 & INGMS/NIH 8 P20 GM103446-12, Collaborative Community Engagement Research, Delaware INBRE Administrative Supplement, entitled, Academic-Community-Clinical Engagement for Support and Successful outcome (ACCESS), awarded to University of Delaware, School of Nursing investigators Klemm and Rempusheski
- American Nurses Foundation “Online Support for Informal Caregivers: Psychosocial Outcomes” Sigma Theta Tau International/Oncology Nursing Society “Psychosocial outcomes in online cancer support”
- Sigma Theta Tau International/Oncology Nursing Society “Psychosocial outcomes in online cancer support groups”
- Klemm, P. (2012). Effects of online support group format (moderated vs. peer-led) on depressive symptoms and extent of participation in women with breast cancer, Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 30(1), 9-18.
- Klemm, P. (2012). Conducting Nursing Research with Undergraduate Students: A Collaborative, Participatory Approach, Nurse Educator, 37(1), 10-11.
- Klemm, P., Waddington, C., Bradley, E. Bucher, L., Collins, M., Lyons, D., Seckel, M., & Urban, M. (2010). Unleashing animal-assisted therapy. Nursing 2010, 40(10), 12-13.
- Rempusheski, V. F., Klemm, P. et al. (2011). ACCESS: Satisfaction with telehealth cancer care resources by mature adults. The Gerontologist, 51 (S2), 608.
- Wheeler, E., Hardie, T., & Klemm, P., Akanji, I., Schonewolf, E., Scott, J., & Sterling, B (2010). Level of pain and effects on waiting time in the Emergency Department. Pain Management Nursing, 11(2), 108-114.
- Klemm, P.R. (2011). Anticancer Agents. In J.F. Kee, E.Hayes, L.E. McCuistion (Eds.). Pharmacology: A Nursing Process Approach (7th ed.) (pp 511-541), St. Louis: Elsevier
- Klemm, P.R. (2009). Anticancer Agents. In J.F. Kee, E.Hayes, L.E. McCuistion (Eds.). Pharmacology: A Nursing Process Approach (6th ed.) (pp 525-555 St. Louis: Elsevier
- Klemm, P., & Hurst M. (2009). Cancer Pathophysiology. In S. Newton, M. Hickey, & J. Marrs (Eds). Mosby’s Oncology Nursing Advisor: A Comprehensive Guide to Clinical Practice (1 st ed.) (pp 14-32). St. Louis: Mosby.
- Klemm, P. (2008). Late Effects of Treatment for Long-Term Cancer Survivors: Qualitative Analysis of an Online Support Group. Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 26(1), 49-58.
- Anderson, A., & Klemm, P. (2008). The Internet: Friend or foe when providing patient education? Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 12(1), 55-63.
- Caton, A., & Klemm, P. (2006). Introduction of the novice oncology nurse to end-of-life care. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 10(5), 604-608
- Klemm , P.R. (2006). Anticancer Drugs. In J.F. Kee, E.Hayes, L.E. McCuistion (Eds.). Pharmacology: A Nursing Process Approach (5 th ed.) (pp 527-552). St. Louis: Elsevier.
- Klemm, P.R. (2006). Technologic Advances: Psychosocial Implications for Patient Care. In R.M. Carroll-Johnson, L.M. Gorman, & N.J. Bush (Eds). Psychosocial Nursing Care along the Cancer Continuum (2 nd Ed.) (pp 439-449). Pittsburgh: Oncology Nursing Press, Inc.
- Klemm, P., & Wheeler, E. (2005). Cancer caregivers online: Hope, emotional roller-coaster, and physical/emotional/psychological responses. Computers, Informatics, Nursing. 23(1), 38-45.
- Klemm, P., (2005). The Role of the Internet in Psychosocial Support, In R.M. Carroll-Johnson, L.M. Gorman, & N.J. Bush (Eds). Psychosocial Nursing Care along the Cancer Continuum. (2nd Ed.). Pittsburgh: Oncology Nursing Press.
- Polek, C., Klemm, P., Hardie, T., Wheeler, E., Birney, M., Plowfield, L., & Lynch, K. (2004). Asian/Pacific Islander American women: Age and Death Rates during Hospitalization for breast cancer, Oncology Nursing Forum, (31)4.
- Wheeler, E., Klemm, P., Hardie, T., Plowfield, L., Polek, C., & Birney, M., Lynch, K. (2004). The effect of race in hospitalized chronic heart failure elderly patients. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 15(4), 291-297.
- Klemm, P., & Hardie, T. (2002). Depression in face-to-face and Internet cancer support groups: A pilot study. Oncology Nursing Forum, 29(4), E45-E51.
Paula R. Klemm , PhD, RN, OCN, is a graduate of The Catholic University of America. Her areas of research interest are internet support for cancer patients and caregivers and psychosocial adjustment to illness. She is a Certified Oncology Nurse with clinical experience at the Johns Hopkins Oncology Center. She is a reviewer and a former Associate Editor for Oncology Nursing Forum, which has an audience of over 35,000 oncology nurses nationwide.