Barbara E. Harrison, PhD FNP,BC, GNP,BC
Coordinator for Nurse Practitioner Programs
College of Health Sciences
357 McDowell Hall
- Ph.D, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor Focus: Neurobehavior of dementia
- M.S.N., University of Texas at Arlington
- B.S.N., Stockton State College, Pomona N.J.
- RN Diploma at Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Family Nurse Practitioner since 1984
- Gerontological Nurse Practitioner since 1995
Current Research Interest
- Fall prevention in older adults
- Improving geriatric outcomes for persons with dementia or cognitive impairment
- Improving mental health services to older adults
- Delaware APN and Pennsylvania CRNP Licenses
- 2010 Sigma Theta Tau (Theta Psi chapter) Membership Award
- 2009 Fellowship: Hartford Institute of Geriatric Nursing Research Summer Scholar
- 2009 Founders’ Day Award, Oakland University in Research Excellence
- 2012- Board member (Treasurer) of Delaware chapter of Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA)
- 2012 Chair of National Education committee for Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA)
- 2011 - 2012 Co-Chair of National Education committee for Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA)
- 2010-2011 President of Theta Psi chapter of Sigma Theta Tau (Michigan)
- Ferrari, M.A., Harrison, B.E., Rawashdeh,O., Hammond, R.L., Avery, Y., Rawashdeh, M., Sa’deh, W., Maddens, M. (2012). Clinical Feasibility Trial of a Motion Detection System for Fall Prevention in Hospitalized Older Adult Patients. Geriatric Nursing, 33, 66-72. doi:10.1016/j.gerinurse.2011.11.011.
- Ferrari, M.A., Harrison, B.E., Rawashdeh,O., Rawashdeh,M., Hammond, R.L., Maddens, M. (2012). A Pilot Study Testing a Fall Prevention Intervention for Older Adults. Journal of Gerontological Nursing,38,13-16. doi:10.3928/00989134.
- Ferrari, M.A., Harrison, B.E., Campbell, C., Maddens, M., Whall, A. (2010). Contributing factors associated with impulsivity- related falls in hospitalized older adults. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 25, 320–326. doi:10.1097/NCQ.0b013e 3181e36755.
- Kwasky, A., Harrison, B.E., Whall, A. (2010). Quality of life and dementia: An integrated review of the literature. Alzheimer’s Care Today, 11 (3): 9-19.
- Harrison, B.E., Ferrari. M., Campbell, C., Maddens, M., Whall, A. (2010). Evaluating the relationship between inattention and impulsivity related falls in hospitalized older adults. Geriatric Nursing,31(1):8-16. doi: 10.1016/j.gerinurse.2009.09.002.
- Mason, B.J., Harrison, B.E. (2009). Telephone interventions for family caregivers of patients with dementia: What are best nursing practices? Alzheimer’s Care Today, 10(3):172-78. (Reprint of article in Holistic Nursing Practice) doi: 10.1097/ACQ. 0b013e3181b15d27
- Etters, L., Goodall, D., Harrison, B.E. (2008). Caregiver burden among dementia patient caregivers: A review of the literature. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 20, 423-28. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-7599.2008.00342.x
- Harrison, B., Son, G.R., Kim, J. Whall, A. L. (2007). Preserved implicit memory in dementia: a potential model for care. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease,22 (4), 286-293.doi: 10.1177/1533317507303761
- Harrison, B.E., Therrien, B. (2007). Effect of antipsychotic medication use on memory in patients with Alzheimer's disease: Assessing the potential risk for accelerated recent autobiographical memory loss. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 33 (6), 11-20. (no doi)
- Harrison, B., Therrien, B., Giordani, B., (2005). Alzheimer's disease behaviors from past self-identities: An exploration of the memory and cognitive features. American Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 20 (4) 248-254.
- Harrison, B. Booth, D., Algase, D. (2001). Studying fall risk factors among nursing home residents who fell. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 27, (10), 26-34.