Richard J. Derman
Chair, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Christiana Care Health System
Director, Center for Women’s and Children’s Health Research, Christiana Care health System
Professor, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Thomas Jefferson University
Christiana Care Health System, Newark, DE
4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road Suite 1903
Newark, DE 19718
Dr. Derman is a principal investigator of the Global Research Network for Women's and Children's Health, funded by the National Institutes of Health.
- Licensed to Practice Medicine: Active Missouri and Delaware
Diplomat: American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1984
- Cornell University Medical Center, The New York Hospital Residency Program, Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency, New York, NY, 1973
- Johns Hopkins University, School of Public Health, Master of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, 1971
- Greenwich Hospital Association, Rotating Internship, Greenwich, CT, 1967
- Howard University College of Medicine, Doctor of Medicine, Washington, DC, 1966
- Brooklyn College, Bachelor of Arts - Biology, Brooklyn, NY
- Chair, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Director, Center for Women’s and Children’s Health Research
- Professor, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Thomas Jefferson Univiversity, 2010-Present
- Associate Dean for Clinical Research (2004-2008)
- Interim Associate Dean for Research (2001-2003)
- Associate Dean for Women's Health (2001-2008)
- Schutte Chair in Women's Health (2001-2009)
- Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology (2001-2008)
- Director, National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health (2005-2008)
- Adjunct Professor, College of Pharmacy (2001-2005)
- Professor, Obstetrics and Gynecology (1999-2001)
- Joint Professor, School of Public Health (1994-2001)
- Associate Professor, Obstetrics and Gynecology (1994-1998)
- Consultant - Feasibility Study for the Establishment of a Chair in Women's Health
- Consultant - Team Leader for the Establishment of a Women's Health Institute
- Cornell University Medical Center, New York, NY, 1980-1991
- Associate Clinical Professor, Obstetrics and Gynecology
- President, Northeast Medical Group, P.C., New York, NY, 1980-1994
- Attending Physician, Nyack Hospital, New York, NY, 1980-1994
- Consultant, International Science and Technology Institute, Washington, DC, 1984-1987
- International Division of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, New York, NY, 1974-1978
- Executive Director, Family Planning International Assistance (1978-1980)
- Medical Director (1974-1978)
- Acting Medical Director/Regional Medical Director, Peace Corps, Washington, DC, 1968-1969
- Physician, Peace Corps, Bangalore, India, 1967-1969
Christiana Care Health System, Newark, DE, 2008-Present
University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine, Kansas City, MO, 2001-2008
University of Illinois, College of Medicine, Chicago, IL, 1994-2001
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, 1994-1995
University of California, Irvine, CA, 1991-1993
Recent Publications/Books & Publications
- M. B. Bellad MD, Shivaprasad Goudar MD, Stanley Edlavitch PhD, MA, N. S. Mahantshetti MD, Vijaya Naik MD, Jay Hemingway PhD, Manu Gupta MD, H.R. Nalina MD, Richard Derman MD, Nancy Moss PhD, B. S. Kodkany MD. Consanguinity, Prematurity, Birth Weight and Pregnancy Loss: A Prospective Cohort Study at four Primary Health Center Areas Karnataka, India. Journal of Perinatology (2011) 1-7.
- ENC training reduces perinatal mortality in Karnataka, India. Goudar SS, McClure EM, Derman RJ, Patil V. Mahantshetti N, Bellad R, Kodkany B, Moore J, Wright L, Carlo W. The Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, August, 2011.
- Round table in Ob/Gyn & Women's Health, Experts Argue the Continuing Home Birth Issue Perspectives on the Joseph R. Wax and Colleagues Home Birth Study in AJOG, Nov 2010. Holly Powell Kennedy, CNM, PhD; Mary Lawlor, CPM; Erin E. Tracy, MD, MPH; Richard J. Derman, MD, MPH; Eugene Declercq, PhD, MS, MBA.
- Carlo WA, Goudar SS, Jehan I, Chomba E, Tshefu A, Garces A, Parida S, Althabe F, McClure EM, Derman RJ, Goldenberg RL, Bose C, Hambidge M, Panigrahi P, Buekens P, Chakraborty H, Hartwell TD, Wright LL, Moore J. High mortality of very low birth weight infants born in communities in developing countries despite birth attendant training. Pediatrics (2010), Oct 11.
- Waldemar A. Carlo, MD1,2; Shivaprasad S. Goudar MD, MHPE3; Sailajanandan Parida, MD4; Imtiaz Jehan, FCPS, MSc5; Antoinette Tshefu, MD6; Elwyn Chomba, MD2,7,; Fernando Althabe, MD8; Ana Garces, MD, MPH9; Richard J. Derman, MD, MPH10; Pinaki Panigrahi, MD, PhD11; Robert L. Goldenberg, MD12; Carl Bose, MD13; Pierre Buekens, MD, PhD14; Nancy Krebs, MD15; Elizabeth M. McClure, MEd16; Hrishikesh Chakraborty, DrPH16; Tyler Hartwell16; Linda L. Wright, MD17; and the FIRST BREATH Study Group. Newborn Care Training and Perinatal Mortality in Developing Countries. New England Journal of Medicine, 2010, June 24, 362 (7):614-23.
- Miller PD, Derman R. What Is the Best Balance of Benefits and Risks Among Anti-resorptive Therapies for Postmenopausal Osteoporosis?” Osteoporosis Int. 2010. Jan, 2010.
- Metin Gulmezoglu, Mariana Widmer, Mario Merialdi, Zahida Qureshi, Gilda Piaggio, Diana Elbourne, Hany Abdel-Aleem, Guillermo Carroli, G.Justus Hofmeyr, Pisake Lumbiganon, Richard Derman, Pius Okong, Shivaprasad Goudar, Mario Festin, Fernando Althabe and Deborah Armbruster. Active Management of the Third Stage of Labor without Controlled Cord Traction: a Randomized Non- inferiority Controlled Trial. Reproductive Health, 2009 Jan, 6:2. (WHO)
- Corson, S., Derman, R., Tyrer, L., (Eds.) (1994). Fertility control (2nd Ed.). Toronto: Goldin Publishers.
- Corson, S., Derman, R., Tyrer, L., (Eds.) (1985). Fertility control. Boston: Little Brown & Co.
- Derman, R.J., (Ed.) (1983). Manual on the office management of sexually transmitted diseases. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- Derman, R.J., (Ed.) (1982). Hormonal therapy in the menopause. New York: KPR I/M.
- *“Field Implementation of the Helping Babies Breathe Initiative in Belgaum, Karnataka INDIA” funded by Global Implementation Task Force of American Academy of Pediatrics, USA, July 1, 2009 – June 30, 2011 Dr. Richard J Derman, US-PI, NIH Global Network Representative, $50,000
- *“Maternal Newborn Health Registry (MNH)” study at 20 Primary Health Center Areas of Belgaum District being conducted by “JNMC-UMKC Women’s and Children’s Health Research Unit” under the auspices of the Global Network for Women’s and Children’s Health Research of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, USA. (Grant Award # NICHD 2U01HD042372-06) (January 2008 – December 2012) Dr. Richard J Derman, US-PI, $607,287
- *“Evaluation of an EmONC Intervention Package to Reduce Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes in Low Resource Settings (The EmONC Trial)” at 20 Primary Health Center Areas of Belgaum District being conducted by “JNMC-UMKC Women’s and Children’s Health Research Unit” under the auspices of the Global Network for Women’s and Children’s Health Research of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, USA. (Grant Award # NICHD 2U01HD042372-06) (January 2008 – April 2010) Dr. Richard J Derman, US-PI, $656,890
- *“Active Management of the Third Stage of Labour without Controlled Cord Traction: A Randomized Non-Inferiority Controlled Trial” funded by RHR Division of World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland Project No. A65554 (March 2008 – February 2010) Dr. Richard J Derman, US-PI, NIH Global Network Representative, $85,649
- *“A Global Network Study to Estimate Gestational Age by Fundal Height” being conducted by “JNMC-UMKC Women’s and Children’s Health Research Unit” under the auspices of the Global Network for Women’s and Children’s Health Research of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, USA. (Grant Award # NICHD 2U01HD042372-06) (September 2007-December 2008) Completed, Dr. Richard J Derman, US-PI, $1,922
- *“Brain Research to Ameliorate Impaired Neurodevelopment: Home-based Intervention Trial – BRAIN HIT Trial” at 8 Primary Health Center areas of Belgaum District being conducted by “JNMC-UMKC Women’s and Children’s Health Research Unit” in collaboration with University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA under the auspices of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, USA and National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH, USA. (Grant Award # NICHD HD053055-01) (October 2006 – September 2011). Dr. Richard J. Derman, Co-Investigator, $408,553
Honors & Awards
- Physician of the Year, Alpha Omega Alpha, Howard University, Washington, DC, May 2008
- International Scholar of the Year, International Relations Council, Kansas City, MO, 2007
- Certification of Appreciation, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical Center, Belgaum, India, 2005
- Kansas City's Top Doctors, Ingram's Magazine, Kansas City, MO, 2001
- Honorary Professor, Second Tashkent State Medical Institute, Tashkent, Uzbekistan, 1997
- Honorary Doctorate Degree, First State University, Tashkent, Uzbekistan (Host for First Lady, Hillary Clinton, re: Visit to Model Women's Health Center, Tashkent, Uzbekistan, 1995
- Certificate of Commendation, Korean's Medical Women's Association, 1978
- Certificate of Commendation, Women's Medical Society of the Philippines, 1977
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Public Health Association
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- American Medical Association
- Association of Reproductive Health Professionals
- Kansas City Obstetrics and Gynecology Society
- North American Menopause Society
- World Foundation for Medical Studies in Female Health
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Medical Society of Delaware
- OB Society of Philadelphia
- Council of University Chairs in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Affiliate Member