Cathy L. Ciolek
Co-Director of Clinical Education
Senior Physical Therapist Neurologic & Older Adult Clinic
Secondary Appt. Assistant Professor
Physical Therapy Department
053 McKinly Lab/320 McKinly Lab
- 2005-Aug 2007 Arizona School of Health Science Mesa Az – Doctor of Physical Therapy
- 1990–1993 University of Delaware – Department of Continuing Education: Advanced Certificate in Gerontology
- 1985-1989 Ithaca College – Bachelors of Science in Physical Therapy: Faculty Award for Outstanding Service to the Department
- 1980 Boston University -- B.S. Degree Human Movement Studies
- 1976 United States Naval Academy – Midshipman Honorable discharge
2004- Present University of Delaware Newark, DE
- Associate Director for the Neurologic and Older Adult Physical Therapy Clinic (2004 –2010)
- Director Clinical Education (2008-Present)
- Director Geriatric Physical Therapy Residency (2006-2011)
- Assistant Professor (2007- Present)
- Responsible for PHYT 806 Geriatrics and PHYT 620 Education Process in Community Health (2009-present)
- Faculty Instructor, University of Delaware Doctor of Physical Therapy Entry Level Program. (2004-2008) Co-teaching PHYT 806 Geriatrics. Guest lectures annually in PHYT 600 Intro to the Profession, PHYT 631 PT in Acute Care Environment, PHYT 633 Applied Physiology II, PHYT 804 Neurophysiologic Evaluation and Treatment, PHYT 810 Clinical Management and Administration.
- Clinical Educator for 12-14 part time integrated students in PHYT 822 Neurologic and Older Adult Experience and 0-2 full time experiences annually (2004- Present)
- AT Still University of Health Professions, Mesa Az
- Adjunct Faculty: PT 830 Geriatrics Physical Therapy
- Responsible for creating, delivering and grading online course for tDPT program students 2-3x’s/annually.
- Kendal~Crosslands Communities Kennett Sq, PA
- Physical Therapy Supervisor 2003-present
- Clinical Physical Therapist 1998-2002
- 2000-2004 Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions, Provo UT Non Appointed Faculty
1995–1998 ManorCare Health Services Wilmington, DE
- Director of Rehabilitation
- Physical Therapy Manager
- Staff Physical Therapist
1992–1995 Ciolek Physical Therapy Wilmington, DE
- Owner- home health and contract LTC
1989–1992 St. Francis Hospital Wilmington, DE
- Staff Physical Therapist
Special Certifications and Awards
- Received Board Certification in Physical Therapy as a Geriatric Clinical Specialist from the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialists in 1996. Re-Certification approved through 2016.
- Certified Emergency First Responder since 2006
- Certified CPR for professional rescuer since 2004
- Credentialed Clinical Instructor by APTA, November 2003, Advanced Clinical Instructor (Level 2) Credential by APTA October 2009
- Joan Mills Award, Section on Geriatrics/APTA
- February 2008, highest honor of the Section on Geriatrics, presented for outstanding contributions to the field of geriatric physical therapy and Section on Geriatrics leadership.
- President’s Award, Section on Geriatrics/APTA.
- February 2006, presented for service to the Section on Geriatrics
- Clinical Educators Award, Section on Geriatrics/APTA. Awarded February 2006 for outstanding clinical education to students in physical therapy.
- Lynn Phillippi Award: Advocacy for Older Adults, Section on Geriatrics/APTA. February 2001 in recognition of advocacy for older adults through publications, teaching and practice.
Continuing Education Presentations Given
- Geriatric Competencies in Physical Therapy: Preparing for the Future, CSM programming Feb 2011.
- Mentoring the Clinician Beyond Entry-Level: Skills, Knowledge, & Behaviors for Successfully Residency & Fellowship Mentoring, CSM Preconference Course 2009,2010, 2011
- Working with Older Adult Can Be Fun, Section on Geriatrics student programming at CSM 2009, 2010, 2011
- Guest Speaker: Southeastern PA Dystonia Support Group, Dec 2008
- Foundation for Long Term Care 2007- Albany NY. Understanding Physical and Chemical Restraints.
- APTA Combined Sections Meeting 2007- Boston, Massachusetts. Why Vital Signs are Vital to Your Practice.
- Guest Speaker. Delaware Brain Injury Association Meeting, January 2007.
- Guest Speaker: Peripheral Neuropathy Support Group- Why can’t I keep my balance? September 2006 Wilmington, DE.
- APTA Combined Sections Meeting 2006- San Diego California. Invited speaker: Ethical Decision Making in Geriatric Residencies: In the clinic and academic programs.
- Physical Therapy Update, Delaware Parkinson Educational Program, 10/23/05
- Multiple Sclerosis, A Course for Physical and Occupational Therapists. Speaker. 9/17/05 Sponsor: Delaware MS Society.
- Special Populations- Geriatric Issues. Applied Physiology, UD, May 2005
- APTA Combined Section Meeting Platform Presenter, Feb 2005
- DE MS Society- Exercise for the client with MS, September 2004
- Grand Rounds- University of Delaware, Gait dysfunction in client, Nov 2004
- Consultant to Pennsylvania Restraint Reduction Team (PARRI) 2004
- Clinical Instructor, DPT Program, UD, Fall 2003, Spring 2004
- Guest Lecturer- Management for the Geriatrics Client in the Acute Care Environment, DPT Program, Widener University PT 735, Spring:2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
- Guest Lecturer- Restraint Management, University of Delaware, DPT Program, Geriatrics Course, November 2003, 2004
- Grand Rounds- University of Delaware, Head Injury in Geriatric Client, May 2003
- “Ask the Expert” Geriatric Exposition, Section on Geriatrics APTA, CSM Feb. 2003
- Presenter: Fall Prevention for the SNF Client. PARRI Regional Conferences, May/Sept 2002
- Gait Training Vs. Ambulation. Presented Feb 2002, American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting.
- Aquatic Therapy & Intervention: Maximizing Functional Stability & Mobility in the Older Adult. Co-presented at PT 2001, Anaheim, California with Paula Geigle, PT, PhD June 2001.
- Teaching Assistant: Delaware Technical and Community College, Neurology Lab, Winter 1998.
- Speaker: Issues in Geriatric Healthcare: Restraint Management. March 1998. Sponsored by Delaware Technical and Community College, Georgetown, DE.
American Physical Therapy Association, Member 9/87-present
Appointed to APTA Awards Committee- subcommittee on practice and service June 2008-2011
Appointed to APTA Task Force on Governance Review (and Core Group) November 2009-Dec 2010
Appointed Chair APTA Task Force on Governance Review Subgroup on Section 2011
Appointed to APTA Guidelines Development Initial Meeting, Dec 2008
Invited participant- Developing Clinical Education Standards Consensus Conference, Dec 2007
Appointed Hooked on Evidence, geriatric clinical scenarios panel, September 2006
Appointed APTA Representative to the Technical Expert Panel for the Staff Time and Resource Intensity Project, Iowa Foundation for Medical Care/CMS 2005-2007
Appointed member- APTA Advisory Panel on Practice 2002-2005, Chair 2004-2005
Co-Author- Guidelines for the Recognizing and Providing Care for Victims of Elder Abuse, APTA Published 2000
Delaware Physical Therapy Association, Member 9/87- present
President 2003-2004, 2005-2006
Chief Delegate 2000-2002
Continuing Education Coordinator 1998-2003, 2005
Listserv Coordinator 2000-present
Membership Chair 1995- 1999
Section on Geriatrics, APTA, Member 6/91-present
Section Delegate 2008-2011
Nominating Committee 2002-2005, chair 2004-2005
Listserv Coordinator 2000-present
Leadership Task Force, 2001-2006
Member of CSM Program Committee, 1997- 2004
Member Editorial Board GeriNotes, 2000- 2002
State Liaison for State Liaison Delaware, 1995 to 2002
Chair Task Force on Alternative Environments, 1998-2000
Section on Administration 2001- 2007
Neurology Section 2004-presentAmerican Geriatrics Society 2001- present
Published Articles and Posters
- Haley R, Danks K, Reisman D, Ciolek C. Quad Strength with Electrical Stimulation helps patient Post Stroke with Knee Osteoathritis Return to Function. Poster at APTA Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans, LA 2011.
- Keenan G, Ciolek C. Quad Strength with Electrical Stimulation helps patient Post Stroke with Knee Osteoathritis Return to Function. Poster at APTA Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans, LA 2011.
- Ciolek C, Schaeffer M. Intergenerational Physical Therapy. Poster at APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Nasvhille TN, 2008
- Ciolek C, Delaune MF. Falls in Community Dwelling Older Adults- Part II: Examination and Evaluation. PT Magazine CEU Article, Nov 2007.
- Brewer K, Ciolek C, Delaune MF, Newton RA, Williams A Falls in Community Dwelling Older Adults: Introduction to the Problem. PT Magazine CEU Article, July 2007.
- Ciolek C. PHYSICAL THERAPY FOR A PATIENT WITH TBI- Using skilled interventions and collaborative teamwork to help a patient attain full participation in his community. Platform presentation at APTA Annual Conference. June 2006, Orlando FL.
- Ciolek C. Physical Therapy Examination's Key Role in Establishing Medical Diagnosis in a Patient With Lower Extremity Pain Related to Walking. APTA Annual Conference. Feb 2006, San Diego, CA
- Ciolek C, Ciolek DE- Clinical Management of Physical and Chemical Restraints. A home study module for the Section on Geriatrics, APTA 2005.
- Ciolek C, Ciolek DE- Clinical Management of Physical Restraints. A home study module for the Section on Geriatrics, APTA 1998.
- Ciolek CH, Geigle PR. Age and water do mix. Rehab Management. 2002; 15(1)
- Wellmon R, Gardner L, Conway J, Heinrich K, Melnick M, Rao M, Totman M, Herlihey J, Ciolek C. The Activities-Specific Balance Confidence (ABC) Scale: The Relationship to measures of standing balance, gait speed, and age in elderly individuals. Poster at Physical therapy 2001: Annual Conference and Exposition of the APTA.
- Ciolek CH. Finding a way to improve quality of life: Meet Meryl McCormack, PT, MPA, GCS. GeriNotes. 2000; 7(5)
- Ciolek CH. American Physical Therapy Association’s recent initiatives in restraint reduction. Untie the Elderly. 2000; 12(1)
- Ciolek CH. Direct access to physical therapy services. GeriNotes, 2000. 7(2)
- Ciolek CH. Meet Carol Glasscock, PT, MS of FIT FOR LIFE™. GeriNotes. 2000; 7(1)
- Ciolek CH. Task Force on Alternative Environments/ Models of Care Delivery and Management: Expanding to meet member’s needs. GeriNotes. 1999; 6(6)
- Ciolek CH. The HCFA’s new restraint standards for acute care Hospitals. GeriNotes. 1999; 6(6)
- Ciolek CH. The Eden Alternative. GeriNotes. 1999; 6(1)
- Ciolek CH. One simple act of listening. GeriNotes. 1998; 5(5)
- Ciolek CH. Quality of life in nursing homes: An oxymoron? GeriNotes. 1998; 5(4)
- Ciolek CH. How to reduce restraints with wheelchair seating and positioning. Gerisource. 1997; 2(2)