Sheau Ching Chai, PhD, RD
Behavioral Health & Nutrition
030 Carpenter Sports Building
- Functional foods (phytochemicals) and dietary antioxidants in prevention of chronic disorders/conditions
- Dietary and lifestyle factors and their impact on chronic diseases
- Nutritional and lifestyle interventions
- Post-doctoral, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2013
- PhD, Florida State University, 2010
- MS, Oklahoma State University, 2005
- Dietetic Internship, Oklahoma State University, 2003
- BS, Oklahoma State University, 2002
- 2013-present, Assistant Professor, Department of Behavioral Health and Nutrition, University of Delaware
- 2011-2013, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Nutrition Research Institute, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 2007-2010, Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Nutrition, Food & Exercise Sciences, Florida State University
- 2007-2010, Instructor, Department of Nutrition, Food & Exercise Sciences, Florida State University
- 2004-2006, Teaching Assistant, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Oklahoma State University
- 2003-2006, Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Oklahoma State University
- NTDT 201 Food Concepts
- NTDT 305 Nutrition in the Lifespan
- NTDT 400 Macronutrients
- NTDT 468 Senior Special Topics
- NTDT 611 Advanced Macronutrient Metabolism
- Chai SC, Hooshmand S, Saadat RL, Payton ME, Brummel-Smith K, Arjmandi BH. Dried apple versus dried plum: the impact on cardiovascular risk factors in postmenopausal women. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012 Aug;112(8):1158-68.
- Hooshmand S, Chai SC, Saadat RL, Payton ME, Brummel-Smith K, Arjmandi BH. Comparative effects of dried plum and dried apple on bone in postmenopausal women. Br J Nutr. 2011 Sep;106(6):923-30.
- Arjmandi BH, Johnson CD, Campbell SC, Hooshmand S, Chai SC, Akhter MP. Combining of fructooligosaccharide and dried plum has the greatest effect on restoring bone mineral density among select functional foods and bioactive compounds. J Med Food. 2010 Apr;13(2):312-9.
- Chai SC, Arjmandi BH. Vitamin E dose-dependently reduces aortic fatty lesions in orchidectomized rats. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2011 Feb;23(1):11-6.
- Chai SC, Wei CI, Brummel-Smith K, Arjmandi BH. Role of vitamin E in reversing bone. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2008 Dec;20(6):521-7.
- Devareddy L, Hooshmand S, Collins JK, Lucas EA, Chai SC, Arjmandi BH. Blueberry prevents bone loss in ovariectomized rat model of postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Nutr Biochem. 2008 Oct;19(10):694-9. Epub 2008 Mar 6.
- Tripathi YB, Tripathi P, Korlagunta K, Chai SC, Smith BJ, Arjmandi BH. Role of Sandhika: A polyphenol Formulation on MC3T3-E1 Osteoblast-like cells. Inflammation. 2008 Feb;31(1):1-8.
- Lucas EA, Chen TY, Chai SC, Devareddy L, Juma S, Wei CI, Tripathi YB, Daggy BP, Hwang DF, Arjmandi BH. Effect of vitamin E on lipid parameters in ovariectomized rats. J Med Food. 2006 Spring;9(1):77-83.
Selected Awards and Honors
- GNLD/PhenHRIG Young Investigator Award. Plant Phenolic and Human Health Research Interest Group, American Society for Nutrition, Experimental Biology Annual Meeting 2011, Washington, DC, 2011
- Graduate Student Leadership Award, Florida State University, 2010
- Second Place Winner in Oral Presentation, College of Human Sciences (CHS) Research and Creativity Day, Florida State University, 2010
- National Institute of Health Training Award for Dietary Supplement Research Practicum, 2009
- Outstanding Graduate Scholar Award, Golden Key International Honour Society, Florida State University, 2009
- First Place Winner in Poster Presentation, CHS Research and Creativity Day, Florida State University, 2009
- Third Place Winner in Poster Presentation, CHS Research and Creativity Day, Florida State University, 2008
- American Society for Nutrition
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Golden Key International Honour Society
- Kappa Omicron Nu, National Honor Society for Human Sciences
- Omicron Delta Kappa, National Leadership Honor Society