Linda Bucher, RN, PhD, CEN
School of Nursing
321 McDowell Hall
- 2011-2016 National League for Nursing: Certified Nurse Educator
- 2010-2014 Emergency Nurses Association: Certified Emergency Nurse
- PhD, Widener University, Nursing Education
- MSN, University of Pennsylvania, Adult Health and Illness
- BSN, Thomas Jefferson University
- Evidence-based practice as it relates to critical care and emergency nursing
- NURS 411: Selected Concepts in Critical Care and Emergency Nursing
- NURS 411: Topics in Health Care Delivery: Cultural Diversity in Nursing/HLTH 241: Ethical Aspects of Health Care (Study Abroad)
Professional Experience: Academic
- 2007 – Present Professor School of Nursing, College of Health Sciences
- 1996 – 2007 Assoc. Professor University of Delaware
- 1990 – 1996 Assist. Professor Newark, DE
- 2002 – 2010 Nursing Research Facilitator, Christiana Health Care System, Newark, DE
- Facilitator Newark, DE
- 1990 Instructor Department of Nursing
(Part-time) LaSalle University, Philadelphia, PA
- 1990 Clinical Instructor Department of Nursing
(Part-time) Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
- 1986 Clinical Instructor Department of Nursing
(Part-time) Holy Family College, Philadelphia, PA
- 1982-1985 Instructor Department of Nursing
Burlington County College, Pemberton, NJ
Professional Experience: Pracitice
- 1997 - Present Staff Nurse - Virtua Memorial Hospital (Per diem) ED Mt. Holly, NJ
- 1991 - 1995 Staff Nurse - St. Francis Hospital (Per diem) Critical Care/ED Wilmington, DE
- 1990-1991 Staff Nurse - Virtua Memorial Hospital
(Part-time) Coronary Care Unit Mount Holly, NJ
- 1988-1989 Staff Nurse - Virtua Hospital, Marlton Division
Step-Down Unit Marlton, NJ
- 1986-1988 Education Coord. Virtua Hospital, Voorhees Division
- 1984-1985 Community Health Community Health Services of Burlington County
(Part-time) Nurse Mount Holly, NJ
- 1979-1982 Patient Education Deborah Heart and Lung Center
Coordinator Browns Mills, NJ
- 1976-1979 Staff Nurse - West Jersey Hospital, Camden Division
Med-Surg Unit Camden, NJ
- Lewis, S., Dirksen, S., Heitkemper, M., & Bucher, L. (Eds.) (in press). Medical-surgical nursing (9th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Bucher, L., Buruschkin, R., Kenyon, D., Stenton, K., & Treseder, S. (2013). Improving outcomes with therapeutic hypothermia. Nurse Practitioner, 38(1), 49-52.
- Lewis, S., Heitkemper, M., Dirksen, S., Bucher, L., & Camera, I. (Eds.) (2011). Medical-surgical nursing (8th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Bucher, L., & Brown, J. (2011). Peripherally inserted central catheter. In D. Lynn-McHale Wiegand, & K. Carlson (Eds.). AACN procedure manual for critical care (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Bucher, L., & Sanderson, L. (2011). Arterial puncture. In D. Lynn-McHale Wiegand, & K. Carlson (Eds.). AACN procedure manual for critical care (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Schell, K., Bradley, E., Lyons, D., Bucher, L., & Seckel, M. (2011). Better blood pressure measurement for better patient care. In B. M. Melnyk, & E. Fine-Overholt. Implementing evidence-based practice. Indianapolis, IN: Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Klemm, P., Waddington, C., Bradley, E. G., Bucher, L., et al. (2010). Unleashing animal-assisted therapy. Nursing2010, 40(10), 12-13.
- Henry, B., Bucher, L., et al. (2010). A novel approach to improving current research awareness: A web-based nursing research journal watch. Journal for Nurses in Staff Development, 26(5), 208-214.
- Armola, R. R., Bourgault, A. M., Halm, M. A., Board, R. M., Bucher, L., et al. (2009). Upgrading the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses’ evidence-leveling hierarchy. American Journal of Critical Care, 18(5), 405-409.
- Armola, R. R., Bourgault, A. M., Halm, M. A., Board, R. M., Bucher, L., et al. (2009). AACN levels of evidence: What’s new? Critical Care Nurse, 29(4), 70-73.
- Smith, K., Bucher, L., et al. (2009). A study of perioperative hyperglycemia in patients with diabetes having colon, spine, and joint surgery. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, 24(6), 362-369.
- Arbour, R., Waterhouse, J., Seckel, M., & Bucher, L. (2009). Correlation between the Sedation-Agitation Scale and the Bispectral Index in ventilated patients in the intensive care unit. Heart & Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care, 38(4), 336-345.
- 2013 Failure to Rescue: Be Proactive, Not Reactive. TRENDS in Trauma and Critical Care Nursing: Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter of AACN/Virtual Health System, Cherry Hill, NJ.
- 2013 12-Lead ECG Workshop. TRENDS in Trauma and Critical Care Nursing: Southeastern Pennsylvania Chapter of AACN/Virtual Health System, Cherry Hill, NJ.
- 2010 Conducting Research to Achieve Evidence-Based Practice: The Power of an Effective Team (Invited Middlenote). Advancing Nursing: Developing Excellence in Evidence-based Practice and Research: UD-CCHS-TJU-Nemours 5th Annual Nursing Research Conference, Newark, DE.
- 2010 Show me the Money – Funding your Project. Advancing Nursing: Developing Excellence in Evidence-based Practice and Research: UD-CCHS-TJU-Nemours 5th Annual Nursing Research Conference, Newark, DE.
- 2009 Conducting a Research Study…from A to Z. TRENDS in Critical Care Nursing, SePA/AACN, King of Prussia, PA.
- 2009 Bringing Evidence Based Practice to Your Unit: the AACN Connection. TRENDS in Critical Care Nursing, SePA/AACN, King of Prussia, PA.
Honors & Awards
- 2010 Mary Hanna Memorial Journalism Award: A Study of Perioperative Hyperglycemia in Patients with Diabetes Having Colon, Spine, and Joint Surgery. Research Category: Second Place. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing.
- 2007 STTI: Research Dissemination Award: Better Blood Pressure for Better Patient Care. Christiana Care Health System and University of Delaware Blood Pressure Team.
- 2006 Nursing Spectrum Tri-State Mentoring Award.
- 2005 AACN Research Abstract Award: Clinical Comparisons of Forearm and Upper Arm Automatic, Noninvasive Blood Pressures in Three Body Positions.
- 2005 Delaware Nurses’ Association: Excellence in Teaching Award.
- 2005 Nursing Excellence Award, Department of Nursing, Christiana Care Health System.
- 2005 Arthur Trabant Award for Women’s Equity, Nominee
- 2005 Professional Conference Funding Scholarship, SePA Chapter of the AACN.
- 1987 – Present Member, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN)
- 2012 - Present Liaison, CERTAIN/AWARE (appointed)
- 2007-2010 Member, Board of Director (elected)
- 2000 - Present Volunteer Nurse, OperationSmile
- 2013 - Present Chairperson, Operation Smile Nursing Practice Council (appointed)
- 2008 - 2012 Member, Operation Smile Nursing Practice Council (invited)