Carlton G. Brown
School of Nursing
361 McDowell Hall
- PhD, University of Utah, Cancer Nursing Research, 2007.
- MSN, University of Pennsylvania, Oncology Advanced Practice (NP/CNS) Program, 2000
- BSN, University of Louisville, 1992
- Advanced Oncology Certified Nurse (AOCN)
- Oral Mucositis, Cancer Symptom Clusters, Army Nurse Corps Retention, Qualitative Methods, Visual Graphical Analysis.
Recent Research Activities
- The Effect of an Oral Care Protocol on Oral Mucositis in Patients with Head and Neck Cancer Treated with Radiotherapy, University of Delaware Research Foundation, 2009-2010.
- The Lived Experience of Oral Mucositis in Head and Neck Cancer Patients Treated with Radiation, ONS Small Grant, 2008-2010.
- Increasing Testicular Self-Examination in Active Duty Soldiers: An Intervention Study. Triservice Nursing Research Grant MDA 905-01-1-TS11 (N01-P11), Completed May 2005.
- Brown, C.G., Patrician, P. A., & Brosch, L. R. (2011). Increasing testicular self
examination in active duty soldiers: An intervention study. Med-Surg Nursing (In
- Brown, C.G., Miller-Murphy, C., Norton, V. Baldwin, P. & Ponto, J. (2010). The value of oncology nursing certification. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 14(6), E63-69.
- Jensen, S.B., Pedersen A.M.L., Vissink A, Andersen E, Brown C.G., et. al. (2010). A systematic review of salivary gland and xerostomia induced by cancer therapies: incidence, severity and impact on quality of life. Journal of Supportive Care in Cancer, Online- 17 March 2010.
- Jensen, S.B., Pedersen A.M.L., Vissink A, Andersen E, Brown C.G., et. al. (2010). A systematic review of salivary gland hypofunction and xerostomia induced by cancer therapies: management strategies and economic impact. Journal of Supportive Care in Cancer, Online- 25 March 2010.
- Brown, C.G., McGuire, D., Peterson, D., Beck, S., Dudley, W.& Mooney, K.
(2009). The experience of a sore mouth and associated symptoms in patients
with cancer receiving outpatient chemotherapy. Cancer Nursing, 32(4): 259-270.
- Visco, A., Meyer, L., & Brown, C.G. (2009). One disease, two lives: Exploring
the treatment of breast cancer during pregnancy. Clinical Journal of Oncology
- Brown, C.G., Beck, S.L., Peterson, D.E., Dudley, W., Mooney, K. (2009).
Patterns of sore mouth in outpatients with cancer receiving chemotherapy,
Supportive Care in Cancer, 17(4): 413-428.
- Brown, C.G., McGuire, D.B, Peterson, D.E., Beck, S.L. & Mooney, K. (2008).
Visual Graphical Analysis: A Technique to Investigate Symptom Trajectories over
Time. Nursing Research, 56(3): 195-201.
Brown, C.G. (Editor) (To be published in early 2011). A Patient’s Guide to Oncology Symptom Management. Oncology Nursing Society Publishing, Pittsburgh, PA.
Brown, C.G. (Editor) (2010). A Guide to Oncology Symptom Management.
Oncology Nursing Society Publishing, Pittsburgh, PA.
The Lived Experience of Oral Mucositis and Dysphagia in Patients Receiving
Radiotherapy for Head and Neck Cancer (2011). Oncology Nursing Society
Research Conference, Los Angeles, California, Podium (Refereed).
Oral Mucositis: A State of the Science Approach to a Debilitating Symptom
(2010). Oncology Nursing Society National Congress, San Diego, CA. Podium
The Symptom Experience of a Patient Treated for Cancer (2010). Poster
Presentation, European Oncology Nursing Society Annual Meeting, The Hague-
Netherlands. Poster (Refereed).
One disease, two lives: Exploring the treatment of breast cancer during
pregnancy. (2009). ONS National Congress, San Antonio, TX, Poster (Refereed).
- President, Oncology Nursing Society
- President, Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation, 2007-2008
- Retired Army Nurse Corps Officer
- Faculty Advisor, Lori’s Hands