Behavioral Health & Nutrition
107 Elliott Hall
Current Research and Professional Interests
- Fitness Management
- Physical Activity
- Health Promotion
- Ph.D. University of Connecticut - 1990
- M.A. University of Connecticut - 1982
- B.A. Honors. Rhodes University, South Africa - 1979
- Associate Professor, University of Delaware 1990 - present
- Adjunct Faculty, Center for Health and Fitness, University of Connecticut 1988 - 1999
- Head Women's Volleyball Coach, University of Connecticut 1983 - 1986
- HESC 155 - Personal Health Management: An Approach for a Lifetime
- HESC 263 - Leadership Practicum
- HESC 354 - Seminar in Fitness Management
- HESC 432 - Basic Exercise Prescription
- HESC 445 - Concepts in Physical Fitness Testing
- HESC 464 - Internship in Fitness Management
- Peterson, P.M., Abraham, A. and D. A. Warterfield, “ Marketing Physical Activity: Lessons Learned From a Statewide Media Campaign”. Health Promotion Practice, Vol.1, 2004.
- Abraham, A., Peterson, P.M., and D.A. Waterfield “ The Delaware Lieutenant Governor’s Challenge: First Year Results”, Med Sci Sports and Exercise Vol 35(5), 2004(Abstract).
- Bauer, Karen, Bauer, Gabriele, and Abraham, Avron, “A Model for General Education and Its Assessment at a Research University”, Peer Review, Vol. 5, # 3, Spring, 2003.
- A.Abraham, P.M. Peterson, D.A.Waterfield, “ Efficacy of a Statewide Social Marketing Campaign to Promote Physical Activity, Med Sci Sports and Exercise Vol 34(5), 2003(Abstract)
- Editor with D.A. Waterfield of the Delaware Coalition to Promote Physical Activity Newsletter , Dec 1998, June 1999, Jan 2000, June 2000, Jan 2001.
- Abraham.A.and P.Phebus ” Perceived Benefits and Barriers to Physical Activity and Compliance, Among Nurses”. Med Sci Sports and Exercise Vol 32(5), 2000 (Abstract)
- Abraham, A. and C.S. Thomas “ The Effects of Music Tempo on Self-Selected Exercise Intensity In Active Female College Students. Med Sci Sports and Exercise Vol 31(5), 1999. (Abstract)
- “Commitment to Personal Health” Wadsworth Publishing Company, 2003
- “The Process of Physical Fitness and Standards Development”, Constable and Palmer , Human Systems IAC SOAR, 2000 (Summer 2002)
- “ Exercise Management Concepts and Professional Practice” Mackinnon et al. Human Kinetics 2002
- Reviewed text for Human Kinetics “Sport Physiology: A Practitioner’s Guide” (This was a full comprehensive review for the publisher), Summer 2001.
- Jackson et al. “ Physical Activity for Health and Fitness” Doody’s Health Science Book Review Journal, 2000.
- Tanaka et al. “ Exercise for Preventing Common Diseases” Doody’s Health Sciences Book review Journal, 2000
- Evelyn R. Hayes, PhD, RN, CS-FNP & Avron Abraham, PhD “Make A Difference: Service Learning Opportunities” Nursing Education Summit, 2003.
- A. Abraham and S. Goodwin, “Teaching Wellness a Case Study Approach”, EDA/SDA, Baltimore MD Feb. 2002
- Keynote Presentation: Delaware Health and Physical Education Teachers, Oct. 2002 ( approx 200 attendees) (Invited)
- Abraham and D.A. Waterfield, National Association of Health and Fitness: “ Delaware’s Get UP and Do Something Campaign, Indianapolis, April 2002
Funded grants or contracts
- “Develop and Implement a Campaign to Promote Physical Activity and Proper Nutrition”, Funded by the Delaware Division of Public Health with D.A. Waterfield, P.M. Peterson. (Approx $2,000,000) 2000 - 2004.
State, regional, and national professional activities
- Delaware Governor’s Council on Lifestyles and Fitness (1998 - present)
- Governing Board of The National Association For Health and Fitness: The Network of State and Governors Councils (2001 - present)
- Chair of The Delaware Coalition to Promote Physical Activity (helped organize one day conference held June 1999and 2000 developed a strategic plan and coordinated with the National Coalition to Promote Physical Activity)
- University Faculty Senate: President – Elect, 2004
- University General Education Committee (2000 - present)
1.) Chair 2001 - 2004
2.) Review grants for General Education Initiative
3.) Helped organize General Education Summer Institute 2002, 2003
4.) Made presentations related to General Education Initiative to Faculty Senate
5.) Coordinated writing of General Education Initiative three year report.
- CURC - Committee on Undergraduate Records and Certification (2002 - present)
- Faculty representative: Board of Trustees Committee on Student Life and Athletics ( 2002 - present)
- AAUP Executive Committee, Treasurer (1997 - 2002)