Center for Disabilities Studies: Events Calendar
- Emergency Preparedness Workshop – October 22
Come view the latest interactive technology that’s specifically designed to help people with disabilities and chronic health conditions better anticipate and withstand the next emergency on Oct 22, 6:30 p.m to 8 p.m. at 15 Innovation Way in Newark. The All Ready Delaware website and the Delaware Tips app were developed in the wake of last year’s harsh winter storms which, together with 2012’s Hurricane Sandy, reminded Delawareans of the need to prepare for the unexpected. CDS, in partnership with America's PrepareAthon, will acquaint you with this new website and app, discuss effective responses to crisis situations, and demonstrate how to create an individualized emergency preparedness kit. Phyllis Guinivan of CDS, Rochelle Brittingham of UD’s Disaster Research Center, and David Young of UD’s Office of Computer and Electrical Engineering will present. Please
click here to register.
- Artfest 2014 – October 25 CDS will hold its annual Artfest celebration on Oct. 25 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the New Castle County Absalom Jones Community Center, 310 Kiamensi Rd., Newport, Delaware. Artfest offers people with disabilities access to adaptive art tools and supportive volunteers who are eager to help them tap and develop their “inner artist.” You may also get the chance to exhibit some of the work you create at Artfest publicly! For those interested in participating, click here. For those interested in volunteering, click here. To read the UDaily article about Artfest, click here.
- 2014 Delaware Community of Practice Transition and Self Determination Conference – October 31 The Delaware Community of Practice will hold their annual Transition and Self Determination Conference on Oct. 31 at the Dover Downs Conference Center in Dover. This conference is designed for youth ages 14-21 receiving special education services, their parents and families, and the educators and professionals who serve them. Click here to register.
- 11th Annual Disability Ball – November 7 Independent Resources, Inc. will hold its annual ball at the Chase Center on the Riverfront in Wilmington. The event brings together many individuals with disabilities to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience. More information is available on the Disability Ball website.
- AUCD 2014 Conference – November 9-12 “AUCD Unleashed: The Power of Engagement.” The 2014 AUCD Conference theme reflects our goal of achieving an elevated level of engagement with our respective and collective communities, networks, and well beyond in order to better inform, enhance, and enrich the work we all do to improve the lives of people with disabilities and their families. More information on this conference can be found on the AUCD website.
- 2015 LIFE Conference - January 15 Dover Downs Conference Center in Dover. The 2015 LIFE Conference is a joint effort of many Delaware consumer-focused organizations which addresses the topics of Legislation, Independence (through Assistive Technology), Family and Education. For more information and to register, visit the LIFE Conference website.
- 2015 Inclusion Conference - March 9 Delaware's 21st annual Inclusion Conference will be held at the Dover Downs Conference Center in Dover on March 9, 2015 and will provide attendees with inclusive education best practices. The conference is comprised of six workshop strands with nationally known speakers. The workshops address important areas relative to effective inclusion including: teaching strategies, positive behavior supports, assistive technology, access to the general education curriculum, English language learners and early childhood. More information to come.