The Department of Art is located in a cluster of buildings in the Old College section of the University, at the intersection of Main St. and North College Ave. (route 896).
The University's centralized location on the eastern corridor of the United States makes it an ideal location to study visual art. The campus is situated midway between Philadelphia and Baltimore. Newark is also about two hours by train or car north to New York City or south to Washington, D.C. Field trips to the major art centers and access to visiting artists and designers are integral to the undergraduate and graduate education.
(constructed in 1892) is the location of the Art Department Adminitrative Office, and several faculty offices.
This building also houses Visual Communications, Foundation Drawing, Recitation Gallery and the Art Site*. Visual Communications includes lecture/demonstration classrooms and undergraduate studio spaces for sophomores, juniors and seniors. The Foundations classroom is used to teach drawing. The Art Site, our computer lab, has 40 Apple MacPro workstations, located in classroom and auxiliary work spaces, as well as the latest high-end software and hardware to meet our graphic and media needs. Recitation Gallery exhibits contemporary work of artists and designers as well the Senior BFA exhibitions.
The architect for this historic building was the famous Frank Furness of Philadelphia. A renovation in 1963 attempted to hide the Victorian qualities of the building. The building recently underwent a major renovation. Listed on the National Register of Historic Sites.
The Studio Arts Building
(constructed in 2002) is a premier facility housing Ceramics, Printmaking, Sculpture, Raven Press and undergraduate and graduate studios and faulty offices.
The Sculpture area includes a woodshop and metal shop with state-of-the-art equipment. Ceramics includes, an open studio, a large kiln room, a glaze room and clay room. Printmaking includes dedicated spaces for etching, lithography, silkscreen and an evolving digital lab. Our laser cutter and 3-D modeling work stations are alos located here. Two student exhibition and critique spaces are available for all disciplines.
(constructed in 1906) houses Painting, Lens Media, and Foundations Design. Painting includes two large classrooms as well as senior BFA painting studios. Lens Media includes photo and video classroom and seminar spaces, a lighting studio, darkroom, and a large digital/electronic project space. Our equipment cage is located in the lower level, serving a wide range of department needs. The Delaware Design Institute, graduate student studios and faculty offices are also located here.
(constructed in 1888) houses 7 graduate studios ranging from 300 to 500 square feet.
Built with funds made available through the Hatch Experiment Act, the Recitation Hall Annex was originally the laboratory of the Agricultural Experiment Station of Delaware College. The recently renovated building was designed by Wilmington architect Lewis R. Springer. Listed on the National Register of Historic Sites.