Grants Projects Module Team Meeting Minutes
June 20, 2001 003 Hullihen
Present: Becky Boutz Barb MacKenzie
Van Adams Chris Cook
Denise Schneider Rachel Strickland
Absent: Carol Rylee Dave McCarren/Robin Harbaugh
Status of Facilities Sub-Team (Denise):
- Met 6/19/01
- Working on identifying significant tables
- Dave Bley went to Projects training and is now sharing information and manual with team
- The team intends on using meeting time to review manual he received in training and entering test information into the SUV to learn more about the module.
- Denise has been reviewing the Asset Management Module as she thinks this will be a significant module for the Facilities Department.
- The Projects panel assignment (including mapping UD fields) is complete.
Update from Executive Team/Team Leader Meeting (Denise):
- The Project Plan was discussed and will be updated once per month
- The email from Carol regarding PS Gemini 8 was discussed. All members have received the email.
- Phase I implementation will include Grants and Billing modules.
- UD to begin using "tokens" for on-line on demand training. Team members in the main UD buildings have been given access to the system and have signed up for various topics. More to come on who has signed up and which topics they registered for.
- All were pleased with Jill and training session.
- Some comments regarding the product: complex; a lot of data entry and double entry; reporting could be an issue; issues surrounding F&A; billing; concern with HR interface; hope for EDI interfaces.
- Several issues and concerns were raised:
- The number of processes that need to be run and the amount of time it takes to run them ("hit enter and go to lunch…"). Hopefully most of these processes can be run at night.
- Time factor. The OVPR staff are already under enough pressure with deadlines and there is a concern that additional data entry will cause problems.
- Security issues. The possibility that anyone can add a proposal? And that that proposal could be added to any department?
- Will the web based version help?
- Grants team needs to start thinking about what kind of help will be needed for implementation as well as if additional OVPR staff will be necessary due to more data entry.
- Concerns about how much data (if any) will be brought over from old system.
- Training is a huge concern. The team will need to develop programs for training in a decentralized system. It will be a huge effort for all and timing will be critical.
- F&A calculations coming out of Grants. Concern about getting proper information from HR to calculate F&A correctly. Has the decision been made regarding Time and Labor?
- Begin meeting with HR so they understand the impact of the decisions they are making on the financial modules. Their delay of Time and Labor could have a negative effect on processing grants and impact 1/3 of the university budget.
- Possibility of Grant/Project Team member to attend HR training to understand interfaces. Both modules rely on HR information.
- Develop a survey for other university’s using grants.
- Data stored in so many places. Most (90%?) of the Grants data is stored in PROJ_RESOURCE which is beneficial.
- The training brought to light how important Analysis Types are. Will need to investigate further.
- Billing/LOC concerns. Need to attend Billing Module class to learn more.
- NSF Fastlane interface? UD processes several NSF proposals and wants to know more about PS/Sponsor interfaces.
Update on Panel Assignment:
- Proposal Sub-Team is still working on their panels. Estimate that 80% is completed
- Award Sub-Team is finished with their panels. Analyze Projects from the USE menu will be assigned to the Awards Sub-Team.
- Soon we will begin second phase of mapping UD data to PS fields
- We will then move to identifying significant tables.
Next meeting: Complete Grants Set-Up.
Have phase I of panel assignment completed.