Motor Pool Information
Motor Pool Usage Policy
Passenger/Extended Van Utilization
- Pool vehicles may be used for University business by any member
the University faculty, staff or student organization that has been
approved by the appropriate Dean or Department Head. Under no
circumstances are University
vehicles (or rental vehicles) to be used for personal use.
- Motor Pool requests are filled on a first come, first served
- If University pool vehicles are not available, contact the
Department to obtain a vehicle from and outside vendor.
- If the University pool vehicle is not returned on time, and is
scheduled for use by another user, the Motor Pool will obtain an
alternative vehicle for the second user and any additional expenses,
over and above the University pool rate, will be charged to the
- 24 Hour cancellation notice is required. A half-day charge will
incurred for any reservation canceled with less than 24 hour notice.
- University pool vehicles must be parked in the Motor Pool
lot overnight, when in Newark, unless an exception has been arranged.
- Insurance regulations exclude as driver of a Motor Pool
vehicle any person who is not an employee of or affiliated with the
Delaware. All drivers must possess a valid driver's license. A driver
be I8 years of age to drive a University pool car. University Pool
are not insured for use in Canada or Mexico.
- Animals, with the exception of licensed Aid Dogs, are strictly
prohibited from Motor Pool Vehicles.
- Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages and/or drugs in
vehicles is prohibited. Evidence of such may result in the forfeiture
of future Motor
- Mechanical failure or damage due to the negligence of the driver
be the responsibility of the user department or student organization.
- The driver is responsible for all personal belongings in the
The user is to remove all trash from the vehicle upon return. The user
group will be charged for any cleaning required due to their neglect.
- The driver is responsible for refueling the vehicle before
it to the Motor Pool. If the vehicle is not refueled before being
returned to the Motor Pool, the user department will be charged for
- Failure to follow policies may result in forfeiture of Motor
privileges for the Department involved.
- The security of the vehicle is the responsibility of the driver.
- It is the user department's responsibility to have their drivers
adhere to all speed and traffic laws.
- An accident report form and insurance information are located on
sun visor of all Vehicles. All accidents are to be reported within 24
hours and immediately if personal injury is involved. See procedures below.
- Driver and all passengers must use seat belts.
- Smoking is prohibited in all University Motor Pool vehicles.
- A Request for Services form (paper or electronic) must be
by the user department or approved student organization to lease a pool
vehicle. Keys will not be released unless the request for services form
is in the hands
of Motor Pool personnel. If mailed, the form should be sent to:
- All drivers must present a valid driver's license each time a
is used (18 years of age for a University Motor Pool vehicle).
- No vehicle will be released unless the Request for Services form
- If a driver is unfamiliar with the operation of a Motor Pool
instructions will be provided prior to departure.
- The driver should make a physical inspection of the vehicle
leaving the pool parking lot. The driver should check turn signals,
and parking breaks, windshield wipers, registration and accident pack,
general condition of the vehicle. Dents and damage should be noted on
- For security purposes, the driver should close all windows and
all doors when leaving the vehicle unattended.
- Vehicles must not be taken or returned at other than the
times. Unscheduled early departures may result in an extra charge and
suspension of Motor Pool privileges.
- If the vehicle cannot be returned at the appointed time, it is
responsibility of the driver to call the Motor Pool at (302) 831-8471
office hours or University Police after hours at (302) 831-2222. If
the Desk Sergeant, inform him of the vehicle number and when the
will be returned. Additional charges may be accessed.
- The following items must be sealed in provided envelope and
into the Motor Pool office when a pool vehicle is returned:
After hours the above information can be deposited in the Motor
drop box located next to the front door of the Motor Pool Office.
It is the driver's responsibility to complete the start and
mileage on provided envelope.
It is the driver's responsibility to report any mechanical
concerning the vehicle's performance.
It is the responsiblity of the user to pay all traffic
fines, parking fees, and tolls. The Motor Pool does not reimburse for
parking fees and tolls. Reimbursement for tolls and parking fees should
be handled through the requesting department.
- Keys (when issued)
- All gas credit cards (when issued).
- Charge receipts for gas.
In case of accident
- The police must be contacted for all accidents. If police are
not notified, the user department or student organization will be held
responsible for any
damages or liabilities as attended by the signature of the Request for
form. Final responsiblity for a reported accident will be determined by
- If an accident occurs on Campus, notify university Police at
at once. A full report of all accidents must be submitted to the Motor
Pool Office within 24 hours of return of vehicle.
- If personal injury is involved or the Motor Pool vehicle can not
driven away from the accident, notify the Motor Pool office immediately
(302) 831-8471. If after office hours notify University Police at (302)
831-2222 giving your location and a telephone number you can be reached.
- Do Not discuss the accident or sign any reports or statements.
- Never admit responsibility to the other party.
Motor Pool Rental Rates
||1/2 Day Rate
|7 Passenger Minivan
|4 x 4/Pickup
|10 Passenger/ADA Accessible