To establish guidelines for the notification of Supporting Services personnel of imminent danger due to severe weather and the increased probability of lightning strikes. This procedure is to safeguard all Supporting Services staff that may be working outdoors, therefore all effected Supporting Services personnel will be notified.
Early detection equipment will be maintained by Public Safety to monitor environmental conditions to determine when there is a high probability of lightning strikes (831-1141). Upon notification from Public Safety the following procedure will be initiated:
Normal Work Hour (First and Second Shifts)
- Public Safety will notify Operations of both danger and all clear signals.
- Operations will signal Supporting Services staff (Campus Mail, Campus Delivery, and Mover Services) via Nextel.
- Area managers will notify reporting personnel.
- Bus drivers driving buses at the time of the notification will be notified by Public Safety via the two-way radio system.
- Supporting Services personnel will take cover until an "all clear signal" has been given via the notification process.
Third Shift Notification
- Public Safety will notify bus driver(s) via two-way radio of both the danger and all clear signals.