Topic: May's Case Rounds will focus on evidenced based updates on Orthopedic Spine Management of the thoracic and lumbar spines. We will review a new screening tool, the STaRT Back Screening Tool, and 3 related studies looking at factors predicting transition into chronicity from an acute back pain episode.
1. Delitto, Anthony, et al. "Clinical Practice Guidelines Linked to the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health from the Orthopaedic Section of the American Physical Therapy Association" 2012.
2. Chou, Roger, et al. "Diagnosis and Treatment of Low Back Pain: A Joint Clinical Practice Guideline from the American College of Physicians and the American Pain Society" 2007.
3. Hill, JC, et al. "Comparison of stratified primary care management for low back pain with current best practice (StarT Back): a randomised controlled trial" 2011.
4. Sowden, Gail, et al. "Subgrouping for targeted treatment in primary care for low back pain: the treatment system and clinical training programmes used in the IMPaCT Back study (ISRCTN 55174281)" 2011.
5. Beneciuk, JM, et al. "The STarT Back Screening Tool and Individual Psychological Measures: Evaluation of Prognostic Capabilities for Low Back Pain Clinical Outcomes in Outpatient Physical Therapy Settings" 2012.
6. Hughes, Christopher, et al. "Current Concepts of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy, 3rd Edition" 2011.
7. Journal Club Slides: Cervical & Thoracic and Lumbar