NDT Certified, University of Baltimore, Baltimore, MD (1975)
Board Certified in Geriatric Physical Therapy (2005)
|West Chester State University
|University of Pennsylvania
|University of Delaware
||Doctor of Physical Therapy
CURRENT APPOINTMENT (top)
||University of North Florida
Physical Therapy Program
|University of Delaware, Newark, DE
Department of Physical Therapy
||Home Based Physical Therapy
PROFESSIONAL HISTORY (top)
||Orthopedic & Sports Physical Therapy, Wilmington, DE; Owner
||University of Delaware, Physical Therapy Program, Assistant Professor
||Delaware Curative Workshop, Wilmington, DE; Director of Pediatric Program
||Delaware Curative workshop, Wilmington, DE; Staff Therapist
- Lucy Blair Service Award; American Physical Therapy Association, 2008
- Friends of Private Practice Award; Private Practice Section of the APTA, 2007
- The First Joe Lucca Distinguished Service Award; Delaware Physical Therapy Association, 2005
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS/SOCIETIES (top)
- American Physical Therapy Association
- Research, Pediatrics and Geriatric Sections
- Treasurer, Section on Research, 1982-1984
- State Representative, Pediatric Section, 1976-1980
- Delaware Chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association
- President, 2007-present
- Maintenance of DPTA Website, 2003-2005
- Alternate Delegate, 2000-present
- Treasurer, 2000-2007
- Delegate or Chief Delegate, 1983-1999
- President, 1980-1985
- Vice President, 1975-1979
- Delaware State Examining Board of Physical Therapy
- National Council on Family Relations
Health Care Delivery to the Older Americans
RESEARCH PROJECTS & GRANTS (top)
- Cystic Fibrosis Association "Parenting Inputs in the Management of Cystic Fibrosis" (7/78-7/80); with Barbara Settles
- Office of Child Development, USDHEW "Parenting Inputs in Foster and Natural Families for Normal and Atypical Children" (7/76-7/78); with Barbara Settles
- Delaware Institute for Medical Education and Research "Predictive Validity of the Neonatal Behavior Assessment Scale" (10/76-10/77)
- "The Effects of Biofeedback on Isometric and Isokinetic Contractions." May 1978-February 1979.
- "Long Term Effects of Biofeedback on Isometric Training." September 1979-January 1981.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (top)
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- "The Home Health Care System in the United States: Analysis and Recommendations." TOPICS IN GERIATRIC REHABILITATION. July 1990.
- "Effects of Upper and Lower Limb Preference on Torque Productions." JOURNAL OF ORTHOPEDIC & SPORTS PHYSICAL THERAPY, November 1989.
- "Husband Abuse," with Susan Steinmetz. In THE HANDBOOK OF FAMILY VIOLENCE. Plenum Publishing, 1988.
- "The Effects of Biofeedback on Isometric Strengthening Program." PHYSICAL THERAPY, February 1983
- "Effects of Childrens' Disabilities on Certain Time Use Parameters." PHYSICAL THERAPY, February 1979
Book Reviews / Articles Abstracted
- Communication and Clinical Effectiveness in Rehabilitation. Reynolds, F. London. Elsevier, 2005, paperback, 264pp, ISBN 0-7506-5665-4. Reviewed in Physical Therapy.
- Psychology in the Physical and Manual Therapies. Kolt, GS & Andersen, MB, eds. Philadelphia, PA. Churchill Livingstone, 2004. Reviewed in Physical Therapy. June, 2005
- The Bedford Murder: An Evidence-Based Clinical Mystery. Godwin, M. and Hodgetts, G., Philadelphia, PA 19106. Hanley & Belfus, Inc, 2003, Reviewed in Physical Therapy. January 2005, p. 103.
- Evidence-Based Rehabilitation: A Guide to Practice. Law M, ed. Thorofare, NJ 08086. Slack Inc, 2002.Reviewed in Physical Therapy, 2003, 83 (8) : 754-756. Reviewed in Physical Therapy, August 2003, p. 754
- A Reevaluation of the Duration of Survival After the Onset of Dementia. Wolfson C, Wolfson DB, Asgharian, M, et al. Abstracted in Physical Therapy. 2001; 81 (10): 1734-1735
- Improving Mobility in Older Persons: A Manual for Geriatric Specialists, by Carole Lewis. In TOPICS IN GERIATRIC REHABILITATION, (1997)
- Aging: A Challenge to Health Care, by Carole Lewis. In PHYSICAL THERAPY Vol. 65(2), February 1985, p. 220.
- Handicaps in Childhood, by M. Manciaux. In PHYSICAL THERAPY VOL 63 (11), November 1983.
- Parents on the Team, by S. L. Brown. In PHYSICAL THERAPY Vol. 60(6), June 1980, P. 830.
- Program Guide for Infants and Toddlers with Neuromotor and other Disabilities, by F. P.Conner, & C. G. Williamson. In PHYSICAL THERAPY, Vol. 59(5), May 1979, p. 678.
- Predicting Utilization and Outcomes of Home-Based Physical Therapy” presented at the Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association, February, 2001.
- "Physical Therapy Legislation - The Delaware Experience," presented at the Mid Year Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association, Orlando, February 1985.
- Chairman of Research Session at 1984 Annual Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association, Las Vegas, 1984.
- "Effect of Superficial Heat, Deep Heat, and Cold on Quadriceps Muscle Performance," presented at the 59th Annual Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association, Kansas City, June 1983.
- "Effects of EMG Biofeedback on an Isometric Strengthening Program," presented at the 58th Annual Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association, Anaheim, June 1982.
- "Fathers' Roles and Needs in Relation to Children with Special Needs," Presented at Groves Conference in Marriage and the Family, Ocean City, Maryland, June 4, 1982.
- Chairman of Research Session at 1981 Annual Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association in Washington.
- "Isokinetic Rehabilitation Following Meniscus Surgery," presented at Fall Seminar, Alfred I. duPont Institute, October 24, 1981.
- "Marketing Cybex," presented at Cybex Seminar, Washington, DC, August 1981.
- "A Model to Foster Research at the Undergraduate Level," presented at the 56th Annual Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association, Atlanta, June 1980.
- "Functional Ability of Children and Parental Time Use," presented at the 55th Annual Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association, Atlanta, June 1979.
- "The Decrement of Equilibrium and Balance Occurring with Age," presented at the Mid Year Meeting of the Research Section of the American Physical Therapy Association, San Francisco, February 1979.
- "How Much Should We Expect of the Exceptional Parent," presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association, Las Vegas, June 1978
INSERVICE EDUCATION AND WORKSHOPS
- Annual & Combined Sections Meetings of American Physical Therapy Association, Annually from 1978
- APTA State Government Affairs Workshop, Annually from 2000
- APTA Federal Government Affairs Workshop, Annually from 2000
- DPTA Annual Meeting, Annually from 2000
- Medicare - Part B Coding Workshop, Philadelphia, PA, Nov 2000
- Dale Carnegie Course, Wilmington, DE, Feb-May 1986
- Orthopedic Mobilization, Annual Meeting of Delaware Chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association, Wilmington, DE, Feb 1985
- Professional Issues Workshop, American Physical Therapy Association, Alexandria, VA, Sept 1984
- White House Symposium on Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine, Washington, DC, Nov 1983
- Sports Medicine Seminar, Alfred I. duPont Institute, Wilmington, DE, Apr 1981
- Fall Orthopedic Seminar, Alfred I. duPont Institute, Wilmington, DE, Oct 1981
- Isokinetics Seminar, sponsored by Lumex Corporation. (2 day course on the theory and function of isokinetic exercise), June 1980
- Electromyography Course. (Three 3-day seminars to introduce the professional to electromyographic instrumentation), 1978, 1979
- Problem Solving Approach to Teaching, University of Baltimore, Sept 1978
- Fall Orthopedic Seminar, Alfred I. duPont Institute, Wilmington, DE, Sept 1978
- Neurodevelopmental Treatment Association Workshop, New York City, Nov 1977
- Grantsmanship Workshop, American Physical Therapy Association, Phoenix, AZ, Feb 1977
- Neurodevelopmental Treatment Association Workshop, Blythsdale, NY, Nov 1976
- Fall Orthopedic Seminar, Alfred I. duPont Institute, Wilmington, DE, Sept 1976
- Certification Course in Neurodevelopmental Treatment Approach, Neurodevelopmental Treatment Association, Baltimore, MD, July-Aug 1975
- University of Delaware Department of Physical Therapy
- Chair, Curriculum Committee, 2006-2007
- Coordinated Program Assessment Activities for the Department, 2000-present
- Member of Departmental Web Site team, 2000-present
- Chair of the Public Committee, 1999-present
- Chair of the Alumni Committee, 1999-present
- Chair, Safety Committee, 1997-present
- Chair, Minority Recruitment Committee, 1996-present
- Physical Therapy Admissions, 1980-present
- Coordinated employment and admissions surveys, 2000
- Chaired, Search Committee for Clinic Director, 1999
- Board of Directors Member, Wilmington Senior Center, 2005-present
- Medical Advisory Committee Member, Geriatric Services of Delaware, and Bayada Nurses, 1988-present
- Medicare Chart Reviewer, Bayada Nurses of Delaware, 1988-present
- University of Delaware's Faculty Senate, 2007
- Developed and maintained Delaware Physical Therapy Association website, 2000-2003
- College of Arts and Sciences Senator, 1998-2004
- University Presidential Awards Committee, 1998-2000
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Delaware; State Farm Insurance; Nationwide Insurance, 1984-2000
- Honors Committee, School of Life and Health Sciences, 1981-1985
- University Promotion and Tenure Committee, 1984
- Department of Public Instruction Project CADETS (Assessing degree of disability in handicapped children) 1977-1979
- University Faculty Welfare and Privileges Committee, 1976
- Courses and Curriculum Committee, School of Life and Health Sciences
- Various Physical Therapy Search Committees
STUDENTS & TRAINEES (top)
Undergraduate with Distinction Theses
|1988 Mary Jane Isaacs
||Ankle Range of Motion, Strength and Endurance Characteristics of a Selected Group of Pre-Elite and Elite Female Ballet Dancers
|1985 Robert Murphy
||Electrical Stimulation of the Quadriceps Femoris Muscles Combined with Isokinetic Exercise in Healthy Individuals
|1985 Theresa Schneider
||Eccentric and Concentric Contractions: The Effect of Velocity of Contraction on the Force Capabilities of the Quadriceps Femoris
|1985 Kathleen Kline
||The Existence of Foot Preference and Its Relationship with Hand Preference and Strength
|1984 Sharise Savelli
||Descriptive Analysis of Isokinetic Performance of the Knee Musculature
|1984 Suzanne Northup
||Comparison of Strength Gains Following Concentric and Eccentric Training
|1982 Cynthia Neff
||Muscle Strength and Endurance Gains in Isotonic Vs. Isokinetic Exercise Training Protocols
|1982 Susan Perkuckin
||Effects of Superficial Heat, Deep Heat, and Cold on Isokinetic Performance of the Quadriceps Femoris Muscle
|1980 Susan Recchuitti
||The Effect of EMG Biofeedback on an Isometric Strengthening Program
|1980 Nancy Liggett
||Public Survey Research Concerning the Physical Therapy Profession
|2003 Stephanie Peterson
||Biomechanics and Movement Sciences, University of Delaware
(Advisor Lynn Snyder-Mackler)
|1987 Rita F. Reisig
||"Gait Analysis of Normal Young Children"
|1985 Jay Billy
||"The Effects of Rapid Weight Loss on Strength in Wrestlers"
|1979 Donna Tomasette
||"Parental Style and Social Maturity in Families of Children with Cystic Fibrosis"
COURSES TAUGHT (top)
* indicates presently teaching