Delaware Physical Therapist #: J1-0002049
University of Delaware
University of Delaware
Biomechanics and Movement Science
Clinical Outcomes Research
University of Delaware, Newark, DE
- Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Therapy (2009-present)
| PROFESSIONAL HISTORY (top)
||Research Assistant and Laboratory Coordinatory, University of Delaware - Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Newark, DE
||Staff and Per Diem Physical Therapist, Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopaedics, Baltimore, MD
HONORS AND AWARDS (top)
- Rose Excellence in Research Award: APTA. 2010
- New Investigator Research Award (Finalist) - Orthopaedic Research Society. 2009
RESEARCH AND GRANTS(top)
Investigations into the biomechanical factors that result in the progression of osteoarthritis and treatment interventions aimed at reducing disability associated with knee pathology. Particular interest in altered movement patterns after total joint replacement and the relationship to disease progression in the non-operated limb. Currently working on innovative and engaging physical therapy interventions to reduce movement asymmetry after total joint replacement and maximize long-term functional outcomes.
Principal Investigator: Pilot Project Grant from NIH P20-RR16458- Comparison of Methods of Viscosupplementation on Function and Pain in Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis
Funded 1/1/10; $50,000 1 year, renewable
Co-investigator: Supplemental Grant to NIH P20-RR16458 – Joint loading and the progression of osteoarthritis (successfully funded; 9/09)
Students and Trainees
- (Current) Co-advisor - Kevin McGinnis, BIOMS MS Program
- (Current) Co-advisor - Portia Flowers, PhD Students, BIOMS Program
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS/SOCIETIES (top)
- American Physical Therapy Association, 2000-present
- American Society of Biomechanics, 2008-present
- Osteoarthritis and Research Society International, 2009-present
- Orthopedic Research Society, 2009-present
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Zeni J, Richards JG, Higginson JS (2008). Two simple methods for determining gait events during treadmill and overground walking using kinematic data. Gait Posture 27(4): 710-4.
- Zeni J and Higginson, JS. (2009) Differences in gait parameters between healthy subjects and persons with moderate and severe knee osteoarthritis: A result of altered walking speed? Clinical Biomechanics 24(4): 372-8. doi:10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2009.02.001
- Zeni J and Higginson, JS. (2009) Dynamic knee joint stiffness in persons with a progressive increase in severity of knee osteoarthritis. Clinical Biomechanics. 24(4): 366-71. doi:10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2009.01.005
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler, L. (2009) Clinical outcomes following simultaneous bilateral knee replacement: A two year prospective study. Journal of Arthroplasty. Published online. doi:10.1016/j.arth.2009.02.016
- Zeni J, Rudolph K and Higginson JS. (2010) Alterations of quadriceps and hamstring coordination is present in persons with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 20(10): 148-54. doi:10.1016/j.jelekin.2008.12.003
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler, L. (2010) Early Post-operative function predicts long term outcomes after total knee replacement: The importance of contralateral limb strength. Physical Therapy Journal. 80(1): 43-54 doi:10.2522/ptj.20090089. (Rose Excellence in Research Award Paper)
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler, L. (2010) Most Patients Gain Weight in the Two Years After Total Knee Arthroplasty: Comparison to a Healthy Control Group. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 18(4): 510-514 doi:10.1016/j.joca.2009.12.005
- Zeni J and Higginson, JS. (2010) Gait parameters and stride-to-stride variability during familiarization to walking on a split-belt treadmill. Clinical Biomechanics. 25(4): 383-386 doi:10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2009.11.002
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler, L. (2010) Pre-operative predictors of stair climbing ability after total knee replacement. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 92: 1130-1136 doi:10.2106/JBJS.I.00299
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler, L. Clinical predictors of elective total joint replacement in persons with end-stage knee osteoarthritis. BMC Muscloskeletal Disorders. 86(11): doi:10.1186/1471-2474-11-86
- Zeni J and Higginson, JS. Severity of osteoarthritis results in redistribution of joint moments. The Knee. In Press. doi:10.1016/j.knee.2010.04.003
- Mizner R, Petterson S, Clements K, Zeni J, Irrgang J, Snyder-Mackler L. Measuring Functional Improvement after Total Knee Arthroplasty Requires both Performance-Based and Patient-Report Assessments: A Longitudinal Analysis of Outcomes. Journal of Arthroplasty. In Press
- Nazarian DG, Zeni J. Management of a pelvic mass following a worn uncemented total hip arthroplasty. In Press. Journal of Arthroplasty
- Alnahdi A, Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler L. Frontal plane mechanics during walking in individuals who underwent total knee arthroplasty. In Press. Journal of Orthopaedic Research
Peer Reviewed Abstracts
- DeGennaro S and Zeni J. The Effects of Strain and Counterstrain versus Muscle Energy Technique on Hamstring Extensibility. Connecticut Physical Therapy Association Annual Meeting, Hartford, CT November, 2002.
- Bhave A, Mont M, Brown C, Zeni J, Tennis S, Etienne G. A New Cost Effective Customized Knee Device for Knee Flexion Contractures in Patients who had Undergone Total Knee Arthroplasty. American Physical Therapy Combined Sections Meeting. Boston, MA 2005.
- Zeni J, Higginson JS. Familiarization to Treadmill Walking: Kinetic, Kinematic and Temporospatial Parameters. NIH IDeA Conference. Washington, DC 2006.
- Zeni J, Higginson JS. Familiarization to Walking on a Split-Belt Treadmill: Kinetic, Kinematic and Temporospatial Parameters. American Society of Biomechanics Conference. Blacksburg, VA 2006.
- Zeni J, Higginson JS. Influence of Walking Speed and Severity of Knee Osteoarthritis on Medial Compartment Loading. American Society of Mechanical Engineering Bioengineering Conference. Keystone, CO 2007.
- Zeni J, Higginson JS. Estimation of knee joint compression force in subjects with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis. American Society of Biomechanics Annual Conference, Palo Alto CA 2007.
- Zeni J, Higginson JS. Influence of speed on kinetics and coordination in knee osteoarthritis. Northeast American Society of Biomechanics Meeting. College Park, MD 2007.
- Zeni J, Higginson JS. Dynamic knee joint stiffness in persons with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis. CBER Day. Newark, DE 2008.
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler, L. Most persons gain weight following primary total knee arthroplasty. Orthopedic Research Society Annual Meeting. Las Vegas, NV 2009
- Kubinski A, Zeni J, Higginson JS. Compensations to a weighted walking challenge among varying osteoarthritis severities. Orthopedic Research Society Annual Meeting. Las Vegas, NV 2009
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler, L. Clinical predictors of elective total knee replacement in persons with end-stage knee osteoarthritis. CBER Day. Newark DE 2009
- Richards C, Zeni J, Higginson JS. Two methods to determine muscle forces and joint contact force: Comparison to experimental muscle activity. American Society of Biomechanics Annual Meeting, State College, PA 2009.
- Hartigan E, Zeni J, DiStasi S, Snyder-Mackler L. Pre-operative Predictors for Non-copers to Return to Sport Post-operatively. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, San Diego, CA 2009.
- Bade M, Wolfe P, Zeni J, Stevens-Lapsley J, Snyder-Mackler L. Determination of optimal timing for total knee arthroplasty using preoperative clinical measures. APTA Combined Section Meeting, San Diego, CA 2009
- Zeni J, Higginson JS. The effects of gait speed on kinetic and kinematic variables in persons with varying severity of knee osteoarthritis. OARSI Annual Meeting, Montreal, Quebec 2009.
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler L. Clinical predictors of elective joint replacement in persons with end-stage knee osteoarthritis. OARSI Annual Meeting, Montreal, Quebec 2009.
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler L. Early post-operative measures predict one and two year outcomes after unilateral total knee arthroplasty: the importance of contralateral limb strength. OARSI Annual Meeting, Montreal, Quebec 2009.
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler L. Revised Views on the Timing for TKA and Rehabilitation Protocols. ORS Annual Meeting, New Orleans 2010.
- Farquhar S, Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler L. Linking Frontal Plane Mechanics during Stair Climbing to the Progression of Osteoarthritis in the Nonoperated Knee after Unilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty. ORS Annual Meeting, New Orleans 2010
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler L. Post-operative Rehabilitation Following Total Knee Arthroplasty Should Include Weight Management. ACSM Annual Meeting, Baltimore MD 2010.
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler L. The Delaware Osteoarthritis Profile: a comprehensive evaluation of disability and recovery. OARSI Annual Meeting, Brussels, Belgium 2010
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler L. Revised views on the timing and rehabilitation for total knee arthroplasty. OARSI Annual Meeting, Brussels, Belgium 2010
- Alnahdi A, Zeni JA, McGinnis K, Snyder-Mackler L. Gait After Unilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty: Frontal Plane Analysis. ASB Meeting 2010, Providence, RI.
- McGinnis K, Zeni J, Alnahdi, A, Snyder-Mackler, L. Dynamic Knee Joint Stiffness and Knee Joint Moment After TKA. ASB Meeting 2010, Providence, RI.
- Alnahdi A, McClleland J, Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler L. Quadriceps Strength and Gait after Unilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty. ORS Meeting 2011, Long Beach, CA.
- McClelland J, Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler L. Functional Recovery From Total Knee Replacement is Different for Males and Females. ORS Meeting 2011, Long Beach CA
- McClelland J, Zeni J, Marmon A, Snyder-Mackler. Quadriceps strength is the best predictor of unilateral balance test two years following total knee arthroplasty. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans 2011
- Alnahdi A, Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler. Interlimb loading differences during sit to stand task after TKA. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans 2011
- Zeni J, Snyder-Mackler L. The Delaware Osteoarthritis Profile: a comprehensive evaluation of disability and recovery. APTA Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans 2011
Journal related service (Ad Hoc Reviewer)
Physical Therapy Journal
Journal of Orthopedic Research
Journal of Biomechanics
Arthritis Care and Research
Gait and Posture Journal
Medical Engineering and Physics Journal
Complementary Therapies in Medicine Journal
Saudi Medical Journal
BioMed Central Musculoskeletal Disorders
Archives of Physical Medicine
British Medical Bulletin
Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development
Societies (Ad Hoc Reviewer)
American Society of Biomechanics Annual Meeting
Reumafonds (Dutch Arthritis Association)
Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting
Bupa Foundation Medical Research Charity Grant Reviewer
- Zeni J. Community Application of the Delaware Osteoarthritis Profile. 3rd Annual Delaware Orthopaedic Symposium – Continuing Education Programming. Newark DE 2010
PHYT 622 Clinical Gross Anatomy: Course Instructor
PHYT 604 Functional Anatomy and Biomechanics: Course Coordinator and Lecturer
Last Updated 5/23/11