Delaware Physical Therapist #J1-000621
University of Delaware
AT Still University
University of Delaware, Newark, DE Department of Physical Therapy
Director Clinical Education
Associate Director for the Neurologic and Older Adult Physical therapy Clinic
Director Geriatric Physical Therapy Residency
AT Still University of Health Professions, Mesa AZ
- Adjunct Faculty: PT 830 Geriatrics Physical Therapy
- Responsible for developing, delivering and grading online course for tDPT program students 2-3x/year.
PROFESSIONAL HISTORY (top)
Rocky Moutain University of Health Professions, Provo UT
Kendal-Crosslands Communities Kennet Sq, PA
- Physical Therapy Supervisor
- Clinical Physical Therapist
ManorCare Health Services Wilmington, DE
- Director of Rehabilitation
- Physical Therapy Manager
- Staff Physical Therapist
Ciolek Physical Therapy Wilmington, DE
- owner- home health and contract LTC
St. Francis Hospital Wilmington, DE
- Joan Mills Award from Section on Geriatrics , Awarded Feb 2008 for outstanding dedication and continuous time and efforts towards the development of the SOG.
- President's Award, Section on Geriatrics/APTA. , February 2006, presented for service to the Section on Geriatrics
- Clinical Educators Award, Section on Geriatrics/APTA. , Awarded Feb 2006 for outstanding clinical education to students in Physical Therapy
- Lynn Phillippi Award: Advocacy for Older Adults, Section on Geriatrics/APTA., February 2001 in recognition of advocacy for older adults through publications, teaching, and practice
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS/SOCIETIES (top)
CLINICAL INTERESTS (top)
Dr. Ciolek has worked extensively in the area of geriatric physical therapy – through the continuum of acute care, rehabilitation, skilled nursing facilities, home health and outpatient in several local facilities. Her areas of interests are throughout geriatrics, including balance and falls
assessment and prevention.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (top)
- Poster Presenter CSM 2008: Intergenerational Physical Therapy: Geriatrics and Pediatrics
- Lead Author- Falls in Community Dwelling Older Adults- Part II: Examination and Evaluation mmunity PT Magazine CEU Article, Nov 2007
- Contributing Author: Falls in Community Dwelling Older Adults: Introduction to the Problem. Problem, PT Magazine CEU Article, July 2007.
- Lead Author- Clinical Management of Physical Restraints. A home study module for the Section on Geriatrics, APTA 1998.
- Lead Author- Clinical Management of Physical and Chemical Restraints. A home study module for the Section on Geriatrics, APTA 2005.
- Ciolek CH, Geigle PR. Age and water do mix. Rehab Management. 2002; 15(1)
- Wellmon R, Gardner L, Conway J, Heinrich K, Melnick M, Rao M, Totman M, Herlihey J, Ciolek C. The Activities-Specific Balance Confidence (ABC) Scale: The Relationship to measures of standing balance, gait speed, and age in elderly individuals. Poster at Physical therapy 2001: Annual Conference and Exposition of the APTA.
- Ciolek CH. Finding a way to improve quality of life: Meet Meryl McCormack, PT, MPA, GCS. GeriNotes. 2000; 7(5)
- Ciolek CH. American Physical Therapy Association’s recent initiatives in restraint reduction. Untie the Elderly. 2000; 12(1)
- Ciolek CH. Direct access to physical therapy services. GeriNotes, 2000. 7(2)
- Ciolek CH. Meet Carol Glasscock, PT, MS of FIT FOR LIFE™. GeriNotes. 2000; 7(1)
- Ciolek CH. Task Force on Alternative Environments/ Models of Care Delivery and Management: Expanding to meet member’s needs. GeriNotes. 1999; 6(6)
- Ciolek CH. The HCFA’s new restraint standards for acute care Hospitals. GeriNotes. 1999; 6(6)
- Ciolek CH. The Eden Alternative. GeriNotes. 1999; 6(1)
- Ciolek CH. One simple act of listening. GeriNotes. 1998; 5(5)
- Ciolek CH. Quality of life in nursing homes: An oxymoron? GeriNotes. 1998; 5(4)
- Quoted In: Ketter P. PT’s, PTA’s need to explore quality of life in traditional nursing home environments. PT Bulletin. 1998; 13(22).
- Quoted In: Wynn, K. Of dignity and mobility. PT Magazine. 1998; 6(4)
- Ciolek CH. How to reduce restraints with wheelchair seating and positioning. Gerisource. 1997; 2(2)
CONTINUING EDUCATION PRESENTATIONS (top)
- APTA Combined Sections Meeting 2007- Boston, Massachusetts. Why Vital Signs are Vital to Your Practice.
- Guest Speaker. Delaware Brain Injury Association Meeting, January 2007.
- Guest Speaker: Peripheral Neuropathy Support Group- Why can’t I keep my balance? September 2006 Wilmington, DE.
- APTA Annual Conference Platform Presentation: PHYSICAL THERAPY FOR A PATIENT WITH TBI- Using skilled interventions and collaborative teamwork to help a patient attain full participation in his community. June 2006, Orlando FL.
- APTA Combined Section Meeting 2006- San Diego California. Platform Presentation: Physical Therapy Examination's Key Role in Establishing Medical Diagnosis in a Patient With Lower Extremity Pain Related to Walking.
- APTA Combined Sections Meeting 2006- San Diego California. Invited speaker: Ethical Decision Making in Geriatric Residencies: In the clinic and academic programs.
- Physical Therapy Update, Delaware Parkinson Educational Program, 10/23/0
- Multiple Sclerosis, A Course for Physical and Occupational Therapists. Speaker. 9/17/05 Sponsor: Delaware MS Society.
- Special Populations- Geriatric Issues. Applied Physiology, UD, May 2005
- APTA Combined Section Meeting Platform Presenter, Feb 2005
- DE MS Society- Exercise for the client with MS, September 2004
- Grand Rounds- University of Delaware, Gait dysfunction in client, Nov 2004
- Consultant to Pennsylvania Restraint Reduction Team (PARRI) 2004
- Clinical Instructor, DPT Program, UD, Fall 2003, Spring 2004
- Guest Lecturer- Management for the Geriatrics Client in the Acute Care Environment, DPT Program, Widener University PT 735, Spring:2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
- Guest Lecturer- Restraint Management, University of Delaware, DPT Program, Geriatrics Course, November 2003, 2004
- Grand Rounds- University of Delaware, Head Injury in Geriatric Client, May 2003
- “Ask the Expert” Geriatric Exposition, Section on Geriatrics APTA, CSM Feb. 2003
- Presenter: Fall Prevention for the SNF Client. PARRI Regional Conferences, May/Sept 2002
- Gait Training Vs. Ambulation. Presented Feb 2002, American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting.
- Aquatic Therapy & Intervention: Maximizing Functional Stability & Mobility in the Older Adult. Co-presented at PT 2001, Anaheim, California with Paula Geigle, PT, PhD June 2001.
- Teaching Assistant: Delaware Technical and Community College, Neurology Lab, Winter1998
- Speaker: Issues in Geriatric Healthcare: Restraint Management. March 1998. Sponsored by Delaware Technical and Community College, Georgetown, DE.
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
- Appointed Hooked on Evidence, geriatric clinical scenarios panel, September 2006
- Appointed APTA Representative to the Technical Expert Panel for the Staff Time and Resource Intensity Project, Iowa Foundation for Medical Care/CMS 2005-2007
- Appointed member- APTA Advisory Panel on Practice 2002-2005, Chair 2004-2005
- Co-Author- Guidelines for the Recognizing and Providing Care for Victims of Elder Abuse, APTA Published 2000.
- Geriatrics Section
- Delegate 2008-2011
- Nominating Committee 2002-2005, chair 2004-2005
- Listserv Coordinator 2000-present
- Leadership Task Force, 2001-2006
- Member of CSM Program Committee, 1997- 2004
- Member Editorial Board GeriNotes, 2000- 2002
- State Liaison for State Liaison Delaware, 1995 to 2002
- Secretary, 1999-2001
- Chair Task Force on Alternative Environments, 1998-2000
- Administration Section 2001-2007
- Neurology Section 2004-present
- Delaware Physical Therapy Association
- Federal Government Affairs Liaison 2007-2008
- President 2003-2004, 2005-2006
- Delegate 2000-2006
- Chief Delegate 2000-2002
- American Geriatrics Society 2001-present
COURSES TAUGHT (top)