Jaclyn "Megan" Sions, PT, DPT, OCS, CEEAA
Physical Therapist, Research Assistant and Clinical Instuctor
Sports and Orthopedic Clinic
University of Delaware
053 McKinly Lab.
Newark, DE 19716
Ph: (302) 831-8893
Delaware Physical Therapist License #
- Certified Exercise Expert for Aging Adults (CEEAA), Summer 2010-present
- Certified Advanced Clinical Instructor, October 2009-present
- Responsibility & Integrity in Science & Engineering (RAISE) educator, Spring 2009-present.
- Orthopedic Certified Specialist, June 2008-June 2018
- Licensed as a State of Delaware Physical Therapist, January 2007-present
- Licensed as a West Virginia Physical Therapist, August 2004-present
- Emergency First Responder through the American Red Cross, August 2007-present
- CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, August 2007-present
- Oxygen Administration for the Professional Rescuer, August 2007-present
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training, August 2007-present
- Certified Clinical Instructor, November 2006-present
- Certified Infant Massage Instructor, April 2006-present
- Certified Strength Training Specialist, February 1006-January 2008
- WV Birth to Three Early Intervention Specialist, August 2005-December 2006
- BLS Healthcare Certified through the American Heart Association, December 2006-December 2008
|University of Delaware
||Biomechanics and Movement Science
|West Virginia University
|West Virginia University
||Human Performance and Health
University of Delaware, Newark, DE
University of Delaware Physical Therapy Clinic
- Physical Therapist, Sports and Orthopedic Clinic
- Clinical Instructor, Sports and Orthopedic Clinic
- Research Assistant to Dr. Gregory Hicks
PROFESSIONAL HISTORY (top)
- University of Delaware, Sports and Orthopedic Clinic, Newark, DE, January-December 2007
-Orthopedic Resident: Part-time PT with outpatient clinic, serving orthopedics and sports medicine clients
-Clinical instructor for UD DPT students for Orthopedic Integrated Clinical Experience
-TA for UD DPT courses: Musculoskeletal Evaluation and Spine Management
-Organization/leadership of clinical rounds
-Updating clinical protocols/forms to promote evidence-based practice
- Therapy Services LLC, Morgantown, WV, August 2004-December 2006
-Full-time PT with rehabilitation agency, serving primarily orthopedic and neurological clients, pediatrics, and the Birth to Three population
-Assisted living facility supervision of PTA and home health coverage as needed for local health department (2004-2005)
-Creator/Primary Therapist for Balance and Falls Prevention Program
-Creator of wheelchair and equipment clinic
-In-service provider for clients through the Title XIX waiver program, including aide training in transfers, equipment care/management, & client specific home programs
-Clinical instructor for students from WVU, Wheeling Jesuit, and Fairmont State College
CONTINUING EDUCATION (top)
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound Imaging: Newark, DE: November 19-20, 2010
- Responsible Conduct of Research: Newark, DE: January 28-29, 2009
- Rehabilitative Ultrasound Imaging: Lumbopelvic Region: September 2008
- Advanced Credentialed Clinical Instructor Program: For the PT: October 2-3, 2008
- Using the APTA Physical Therapist Clinical Performance Instrument for Students: October 2008
- APTA CI Education and Credentialing Program: November 2006
- Certified Exercise Expert for Aging Adults (CEEAA) Course Series: III: June 19-20, 2010
- Certified Exercise Expert for Aging Adults (CEEAA) Course Series: II: April 10-12, 2010
- Certified Exercise Expert for Aging Adults (CEEAA) Course Series: I: November 21-22, 2009
- Geriatric Orthopedics: Treating the Spine, Pelvis and Hip: September 11-12, 2009
- Evidence-Based Examination and Management of Neck Pain: March 16, 2009
- A System of Classification and Management for Low Back Pain: November 2008
- Advanced Clinical Practice: Manual Therapy for the Lower Quarter: July 2007
- Applied Techniques of Manual Therapy-Mobilization for the Cervical and Thoracic Spine and Ribs: October 2006
- “Considerations for the Management of Neck: How to Not Treat the Neck”: September 2006
- Manually Managing Pain: The Use of Simple Contact for Neural Tension and Chronic Pain: August 2006
- Lymphedema: August 2006
- Patient Classification and Low Back Pain: August 2006
- Management of the Individual With Pain: Parts 1 and 2: July 2006
- The Integumentary System-Repair and Management: An Overview: July 2006
- Guide in Action: Patient With Total Hip Replacement: July 2006
- Clinical Decision-Making for the Orthopedic Clinician: “The Lower Quarter”: May 2006
- Clinical Decision-Making for the Orthopedic Clinician: “The Upper Quarter”: March 2006
- Typical Rotator Cuff Impingement Syndrome: It’s Not Always Typical: March 2006
- Osteopenia Implications for Physical Therapists Managing Patients of All Ages: March 2006
- Sciatica or Intermittent Vascular Claudication: March 2006
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Can You Identify the Contributing Factors: March 2006
- The Female Athlete: March 2006
- IWA: Strength Training Program Design: February 2006
- Applied Techniques of Manual Therapy-The Basics of Sacroiliac Mobilization: November 2005
- Integrated Approach to Physical Therapy Management of the TMJ: November 2005
- Applied Techniques of Manual Therapy-Treatment of the Lumbar Complex: November 2005
- Applied Techniques of Manual Therapy-Comprehensive Treatment of the Shoulder: August 2005
- Applied Techniques of Manual Therapy-Treatment of Common Extremity Dysfunction Through Mobilization: July 2005
- Applied Techniques of Manual Therapy-A Clinical Approach to Myofascial Release: June 2005
Balance Dysfunction and Fall Prevention
- Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy: Practical Management of the Patient with Dizziness: September 2008
- An Introduction to Vestibular Rehabilitation: June 2006
- Evaluation and Intervention Strategies of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo: April 2006
- Tai Chi for Balance, Fall Risk Reduction and Rehabilitation: March 2006
- Current Concepts in the Management of Patients with Vestibular Dysfunction: March 2006
- “Understanding Sensory Dysfunction.” International Loving Touch Foundation: November 2009
- “What Babies Want.” International Loving Touch Touch Foundation: December 2008
- Age Appropriate Play: Volume 1. International Loving Touch Foundation: December 2007
- Neuro-Developmental Disorders: October 2006
- WV Birth to Three: Team Facilitation: October 2006
- Sense-ational World: An Introduction to Sensory Integration in Everyday Life: September 2006
- NDT Treatment of the Baby and Young Child: September 2006
- WV Birth to Three: Assistive Technology for Infants and Toddlers: August 2006
- “He Just Bumps Into Things”: Recognizing and Reporting Signs of Child Abuse: July 2006
- WV Birth to Three: Transition Training: July 2006
- Pediatrics: Evidence-Based Practice in Pediatric Physical Therapy: March 2006
- SI for EI: February 2006
- Asperger’s Syndrome, Non-Verbal Learning Disorder and High-Functioning Autism: October 2005
- Certified Infant Massage Training: October 2005
- WV Birth to Three: Principles of Practice: June 2005
- WV Practitioner/Service Coordinator Quarterly Meeting: May 2005
- WV Birth to Three: Orientation to WV Birth to Three: August 2004
- Demyelinating Diseases: Central and Peripheral: August 2006
- Pilates on the Ball: June 2006
- The Obesity Epidemic: Health Consequences and Implications for Physical Therapy: March 2006
- Seating and Mobility for Adults: October 2005
- Partial Weight-Bearing Gait Training Seminar: July 2005
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS/SOCIETIES (top)
- Member of the Research Section of the American Physical Therapy Association: 2010-present
- Member of the Geriatrics Section of the American Physical Therapy Association: 2008-present
- Member of Orthopedics Section of the American Physical Therapy Association: 2006-present
- Member of The Vestibular Disorders Association: May 2006-present
- Member of the American Physical Therapy Association: 2002-present
- Member of Pediatrics Section of American Physical Therapy Association: 2004-2007
- Platform Presentation: Chronic Low Back Pain and Performance-Based Function in Older Adults: A Case-Control Study. Hicks GE, Sions JM. CSM: New Orleans, LA: 2/12/2011.
- Platform Presentation: Asymmetry of the Lumbar Multifidi in Older Adults with Chronic Low Back Pain as Compared to Healthy Controls. Sions JM, Hicks GE. CSM: New Orleans, LA: 2/11/2011.
- Orthopedic Programming Series. Challenging Ageism in Outpatient Physical Therapy Orthopedics: Applying Evidence to the Evaluation and Treatment of Older Adults with Low Back Pain. Manal TJ, Hicks GE, Sions JM, Velasco T. CSM: New Orleans, LA: 2/11/2011.
- Poster Presentation. Spatiotemporal Parameters of Gait in Older Adults with and without Chronic Low Back Pain. Hicks GE, Sions JM, Velasco T. Orthopedic Research Society. Long Beach, CS: 1/2011.
- Poster Presentation. Rehabilitative Ultrasound Imaging of the Posterior Trunk Muscles in Older Adults with and without Chronic Low Back Pain: an Investigation of Measurement and Procedural Reliability. Sions JM, Velasco T, Hicks GE. Orthopedic Research Society. Long Beach, CA: 1/2011.
- Poster Presentation: Fear-Avoidance Beliefs Are Associated with Disability in Older Adults with Low Back Pain. Sions JM, Hicks GE. Exercise and Physical Activity in Aging Conference (EXPAAC): Indianapolis, IN: 07/29/10 AND Platform Presentation: CSM: San Diego, CA: 02/20/2010.
- Poster Presentation: Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation as an Adjunct to a Trunk Muscle Training Program for an Older Adult with Low Back Pain. Velasco T, Hicks GE, Sions JM. Exercise and Physical Activity in Aging Conference (EXPAAC): Indianapolis, IN: 07/29/2010.
- Poster Presentation: Reproduction and Treatment of Quadratus Lumborum Trigger Points in a Collegiate Pitcher Using Motor Transcutaneous Electrical Stimulation. Velasco T, Sions JM, Manal TJ. APTA: Boston, MA: 06/17/2010.
- Poster Presentation: Lumbar Stiffness is Associated with Physical Health and Low Back Pain-Related Disability in Community-Dwelling Older Adults. Sions JM, Hicks GE. APTA: Boston, MA: 06/17/2010.
- Geriatrics Programming Series. Treating Low Back Pain in Older Adults- Special Understanding of Epidemiology, Bone Related Changes, and Function Can Lead to an Improved Lifestyle. Manal TJ, Hicks GE, Sions JM, Velasco T. CSM: San Diego, CA: 02/19/2010.
- Poster Presentation: Reducing Chronic Shoulder Pain in a Throwing Athlete: the Role of the Thoracic Spine. Flug, J, Bell KA, Sions JM, Manal TJ. APTA: Baltimore, MD: 06/12/2009.
- Poster Presentation: Treatment of Severe Spinal Stenosis Using 100% Body-Weight Mechanical Traction and Body-Weight Supported Treadmill Training. Sions JM, Manal TJ. APTA: Baltimore, MD: 06/12/2009.
- Platform Presentation: Physical Therapy Interventions for an Older Adult with Low Back Pain and History of Scoliosis. Ciampa J, Sions JM, Ciolek C, Manal TJ. CSM: Las Vegas, NV: 02/12/2009.
- Poster Presentation: Thoracic Manipulations may show Promise in the Conservative Management of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Sions JM, Manal TJ. CSM: Las Vegas, NV: 02/12/2009.
- Poster Presentation: Combining Mobilization and Stabilization Clinical Prediction Rules Provide Relief for Patient with Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Low Back Pain. Sions JM, Manal TJ. CSM: Las Vegas, NV: 02/12/2009.
- Electrical Stimulation Case Studies: Use of NMES to Augment Return of Wrist Extensor Strength in an Information Technologist. Sions JM, Goodstadt NM, Manal TJ. CSM: Nashville, TN: 02/08/2008.
- Electrical Stimulation Case Studies: Can Electrical Stimulation to the Quadriceps Following TKA, Still Strengthen if Force Output Isn’t Measured? Sions JM, Goodstadt NM, Manal TJ. CSM: Boston, MA: 02/16/2007.
University of Delaware
- Responsible Conduct of Research: RAISE discussion group facilitator. 2/1/2011.
- Osteology and Palpation Labs. Clinical Gross Anatomy, University of Delaware. Summer 2009, Summer 2010.
- Ergonomics: Evaluation and Fitting the Client. Spine Management. 5/15/2008; 4/15/2009; 4/19/2010.
- Introduction to Rehabilitative Ultrasound. Spine Management. 03/16/2009, 03/15/2010.
- Physical Therapy Ethics. Special Interest Series. 11/02/2009; 11/09/2009; 11/16/2009.
- Management of Orofacial Pain in a Biologist. Grand Rounds. 02/20/2009.
- “Low Back Pain in the Elderly.” Case Rounds, University of Delaware, 9/9/2008; 9/15/2008.
- Upper Extremity Case: A Diagnostic Mystery. Grand Rounds. 06/15/2007.
- Tempromandibular Joint. Musculoskeletal Evaluation. Summer 2007.
- Osteoporosis & Vertebral Fractures: A Cause of Low Back Pain in Older Adults. Guest speaker at Marydale Retirement Community, Newark, DE: August 12, 2010
- Low Back Pain in Older Adults. Guest speaker at the following locations:
-New Castle Senior Center, New Castle, DE: June 28, 2010
-Howard Weston Senior Center, New Castle, DE: June 23, 2010
-Clarence Fraim Community Center. Wilmington, DE: February 22, 2010.
-Absalom Community Center. Wilmington, DE: December 10, 2009.
-Sacred Heart Village. Wilmington, DE: November 17, 2009.
-Marydale Retirement Community. Newark, DE: October 8, 2009.
- Infant Massage Instructor: contracted: August 2006; private instruction: August 2006-present
- CHOICES: Teen Fitness and Nutrition Program: contracted instructor and coordinator. Morgantown, WV: April-July 2006: September 2006-October 2006
- Weight-Watchers for Teens: guest speaker, Morgantown, WV: April-May 2006
- “Taking Off Pounds Sensibly”: guest speaker on exercise and physical fitness, Grafton, WV: June-August 2003
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES/COMMUNITY SERVICE(top)
- Newark Nite: “Ask the PT”: Newark, DE: June 6, 2009; June 5, 2010
- Seller’s Community Center: Low Back Pain Booth: Wilmington, DE: December 8, 2009
- Celebrating Life: 50+ Expo: Wilmington, DE: May 19, 2009
- Valero Health and Wellness Fair: Delaware City, DE: May 7, 2009
- Spring Employee Health Fair: University of Delaware: April 7, 2009
- Delaware Healthy Living Expo: University of Delaware Campus: March 22, 2009
- Volunteer at Multiple Sclerosis Walk: University of Delaware Campus: May 20, 2007
- Health Fair Screens for WV Birth to Three: April 2006
- Toys for Tots Interdisciplinary Day-Care Screens: March 2006
- Clinical Instructor: 2005-present
- Community Service Chairperson: PT class of 2004
- Established CHOICES fitness and nutrition program for overweight female teens in Grafton, WV (June 2003-August 2003). The abstract was accepted for publication and poster presentation at APTA Combined Sections Meeting (February 2004).
301 McKinly Lab, Newark, DE 19716 Ph: 302-831-8910, Fax: 302-831-4234, Email: Click
PT Clinical Services Ph: 302-831-8893