Delaware Physical Therapist #J1-000621
|Arizona School of Health Science Mesa Az
||Doctor of Physical Therapy
|University of Delaware
||Department of Continuing Education
- Advanced Certificate in Gerontology
Bachelors of Science in Physical Therapy
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Service to the Department
| PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE (top)
|2004- Present University of Delaware Newark, DE
- Associate Director for the Neurologic and Older Adult Physical Therapy Clinic (2004 –2010)
- Director Clinical Education (2008-Present)
- Director Geriatric Physical Therapy Residency (2006-2011)
- Assistant Professor (2007- Present)
- Responsible for PHYT 806 Geriatrics and PHYT 620 Education Process in Community Health (2009-present)
- Co-coordinator Rounds (2009-2013)
- Faculty Instructor, University of Delaware Doctor of Physical Therapy Entry Level Program. (2004-2008) Co-teaching PHYT 806 Geriatrics. Guest lectures annually in PHYT 600 Intro to the Profession, PHYT 631 PT in Acute Care Environment, PHYT 633 Applied Physiology II, PHYT 804 Neurophysiologic Evaluation and Treatment, PHYT 810 Clinical Management and Administration.
- Clinical Educator for 12-14 part time integrated students in PHYT 822 Neurologic and Older Adult Experience and 0-2 full time experiences annually (2004- Present)
- AT Still University of Health Professions, Mesa Az
- Adjunct Faculty: PT 830 Geriatrics Physical Therapy
- Responsible for creating, delivering and grading online course for tDPT program students 2-3x’s/annually.
- Kendal~Crosslands Communities Kennett Sq, PA
- Physical Therapy Supervisor 2003-2004
- Clinical Physical Therapist 1998-2002
2000-2004 Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions, Provo UT Non Appointed Faculty
1995–1998 ManorCare Health Services Wilmington, DE
- Director of Rehabilitation
- Physical Therapy Manager
- Staff Physical Therapist
1992–1995 Ciolek Physical Therapy Wilmington, DE
- Owner- home health and contract LTC
1989–1992 St. Francis Hospital Wilmington, DE
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS AND AWARDS (top)
- Joe Lucca Service Award, Delaware Physical Therapy Association 2014, recognizing dedicated sustained service to the DPTA chapter.
- Lucy Blair Service Award, American Physical Therapy Association 2014, recognizing exceptional value to the association at the level of the association as a whole, section, or chapter and based on the results of the service not merely the duration or continuity of that service
- Joan Mills Award, Section on Geriatrics/APTA, February 2008, highest honor of the Section on Geriatrics, presented for outstanding contributions to the field of geriatric physical therapy and Section on Geriatrics leadership.
- President’s Award, Section on Geriatrics/APTA. February 2006, presented for service to the Section on Geriatrics
- Clinical Educators Award, Section on Geriatrics/APTA. Awarded February 2006 for outstanding clinical education to students in physical therapy.
- Lynn Phillippi Award: Advocacy for Older Adults, Section on Geriatrics/APTA. February 2001 in recognition of advocacy for older adults through publications, teaching and practice.
- Received Board Certification in Physical Therapy as a Geriatric Clinical Specialist from the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialists in 1996. Re-Certification approved through 2026
- Certified Exercise Expert for Aging Adults (CEEAA) 2014
- LSVT BIG Certification 2011, renewed through 2016
- Certified Emergency First Responder since 2006
- Certified CPR for professional rescuer since 2004
- Credentialed Clinical Instructor by APTA, November 2003, Advanced Clinical Instructor (Level 2) Credential by APTA October 2009
Continuing Education Presentations Given(top)
- Exercise Prescription for the Older Adult with Multiple Chronic Conditions. Ciolek C, Hartley G, Heitzman J, Staples W. CSM 2015, Indianapolis, IN.
- Innovation in Clinical Education Performance: An Algorithm for Standardized Decision-Making Interventions for Optimal Student Outcomes. Education Leadership Conference, Portland, OR Fall 2013
- Guest Lecture: The Doctoring Profession. Widener University, Fall 2013
Motivational Interviewing: Improving Communication to Help Patients Reach Their Goals. Sponsored by the Philadelphia Area Consortium of Clinical Education, spring 2013.
- Optimizing Communication within Clinical Education, presentation on the Challenging Student. Sponsored by the Philadelphia Area Consortium of Clinical Education, Spring 2012
- Geriatric Competencies in Physical Therapy: Preparing for the Future, CSM programming Feb 2011.
- Mentoring the Clinician Beyond Entry-Level: Skills, Knowledge, & Behaviors for Successfully Residency & Fellowship Mentoring, CSM Preconference Course 2009,2010, 2011
- Working with Older Adult Can Be Fun, Section on Geriatrics student programming at CSM 2009, 2010, 2011
- Guest Speaker: Southeastern PA Dystonia Support Group, Dec 2008
- Foundation for Long Term Care 2007- Albany NY. Understanding Physical and Chemical Restraints.
- APTA Combined Sections Meeting 2007- Boston, Massachusetts. Why Vital Signs are Vital to Your Practice.
- Guest Speaker. Delaware Brain Injury Association Meeting, January 2007.
- Guest Speaker: Peripheral Neuropathy Support Group- Why can’t I keep my balance? September 2006 Wilmington, DE.
- APTA Combined Sections Meeting 2006- San Diego California. Invited speaker: Ethical Decision Making in Geriatric Residencies: In the clinic and academic programs.
- Physical Therapy Update, Delaware Parkinson Educational Program, 10/23/05
- Multiple Sclerosis, A Course for Physical and Occupational Therapists. Speaker. 9/17/05 Sponsor: Delaware MS Society.
- Special Populations- Geriatric Issues. Applied Physiology, UD, May 2005
- APTA Combined Section Meeting Platform Presenter, Feb 2005
- DE MS Society- Exercise for the client with MS, September 2004
- Grand Rounds- University of Delaware, Gait dysfunction in client, Nov 2004
- Consultant to Pennsylvania Restraint Reduction Team (PARRI) 2004
- Clinical Instructor, DPT Program, UD, Fall 2003, Spring 2004
- Guest Lecturer- Management for the Geriatrics Client in the Acute Care Environment, DPT Program, Widener University PT 735, Spring:2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
- Guest Lecturer- Restraint Management, University of Delaware, DPT Program, Geriatrics Course, November 2003, 2004
- Grand Rounds- University of Delaware, Head Injury in Geriatric Client, May 2003
- “Ask the Expert” Geriatric Exposition, Section on Geriatrics APTA, CSM Feb. 2003
- Presenter: Fall Prevention for the SNF Client. PARRI Regional Conferences, May/Sept 2002
- Gait Training Vs. Ambulation. Presented Feb 2002, American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting.
- Aquatic Therapy & Intervention: Maximizing Functional Stability & Mobility in the Older Adult. Co-presented at PT 2001, Anaheim, California with Paula Geigle, PT, PhD June 2001.
- Teaching Assistant: Delaware Technical and Community College, Neurology Lab, Winter 1998.
- Speaker: Issues in Geriatric Healthcare: Restraint Management. March 1998. Sponsored by Delaware Technical and Community College, Georgetown, DE.
PROFESSIONAL SERVICE (top)
University of Delaware
Coordinator Multiple Sclerosis Assessment Clinic 2008-present
Coordinator- UDPT Service Learning experiences 2008-present
Search Committee Member- DCE search 2013
Department of Physical Therapy Professional Behaviors Committee 2009-2012
Representative to the ADA compliance workgroup -2010
Philadelphia Area Clinical Education Consortium
Education Committee 2011-2014
American Physical Therapy Association, Member 9/87-present
Appointed to Board of Directors Work Group on Governance Review 2011-2013
Appointed Board of Directors Work Group on Sections Governance Review 2011-2013
Appointed to APTA Awards Committee- subcommittee on practice and service June 2008-2012, Chair 2012
Appointed to APTA Task Force on Governance Review (and Core Group) November 2009-Dec 2011
Appointed Chair APTA Task Force on Governance Review Subgroup on Section 2011
Appointed to APTA Guidelines Development Initial Meeting, Dec 2008
Invited participant- Developing Clinical Education Standards Consensus Conference, Dec 2007
Appointed Hooked on Evidence, geriatric clinical scenarios panel, September 2006
Appointed APTA Representative to the Technical Expert Panel for the Staff Time and Resource Intensity Project, Iowa Foundation for Medical Care/CMS 2005-2007
Appointed member- APTA Advisory Panel on Practice 2002-2005, Chair 2004-2005
Co-Author- Guidelines for the Recognizing and Providing Care for Victims of Elder Abuse, APTA Published 2000.
Delaware Physical Therapy Association, Member 9/87- present
Chief Delegate 2000-2002, 2014-2015
Key Contact- Senator Coons- 2013-2015
Ethics and Judicial Committee Chair 2011-present
President 2003-2004, 2005-2006
Continuing Education Coordinator 1998-2003, 2005
Listserv Coordinator 2000-2011
Membership Chair/Newsletter 1995- 1999
Section on Geriatrics, APTA, Member 6/91-present
Bylaws Task Force 2014
Section Delegate 2008-2010, 2011-2013
Finance Committee 2011-2013
Appointed Task Force Member- Essential Competencies in the Care of Older Adults at the Completion of the Entry level Physical therapist Professional Program of Study 2009-2011
Nominating Committee 2002-2005, chair 2005
Listserv Coordinator 2000-2009
Leadership Task Force, 2001-2006
Member of CSM Program Committee, 1997- 2004
Member Editorial Board GeriNotes, 2000- 2002
State Liaison for State Liaison Delaware, 1995 to 2002
Chair Task Force on Alternative Environments, 1998-2000
Section on Administration 2001- 2007
Neurology Section 2004-presentAmerican Geriatrics Society 2001- present
Section on Education 2007-present
American Geriatrics Society 2001-present
PUBLISHED ARTICLES AND POSTERS (top)
- Bell KA, Arundale A, Ciolek C, Foeller C, Wruble Hakim E. Comparison of Clinical Performance Rating Tools for Integrated Clinical Experiences: A Preliminary Analysis. Poster at APTA Combined Sections Meeting. Indianapolis, IN 2015.
- Ciolek C. EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION ENHANCES OUTCOMES IN A 66 Y.O. FEMALE WITH CHRONIC PAIN. Poster at 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Baltimore, MD 2014.
- Coyle P, Ciolek C, Wruble E. Using the ICF as a Model for Improving Student Participation in Their Professional Organization. Poster at 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Baltimore, MD 2014.
- Wruble Hakim, E, Moffat M, Becker E, Bell KA, Manal TJ, Schmitt L, Ciolek C. Application of Educational Theory and Evidence in Support of an Integrated Model of Clinical Education. Journal of Physical Therapy Education, 2014:28(1) 13-21.
- Wruble Hakim E, Schmitt LA, Ciolek CH. Hospital-Based Clinical Experiences – Need to Have or Nice to Have? Poster at APTA Combined Sections Meeting Las Vegas, NV 2014
- Bell K, Ciolek C, Wruble Hakim E. Imparting the Art and Science of Teaching to the Educators of the Future. Platform at APTA Combined Sections Meeting Las Vegas, NV 2014
- Ciolek, C, Wruble Hakim E. Analysis of Critical Incident Reports (CIR) On the Physical
Therapy Clinical Performance Instrument (PT CPI) In an Entry-Level Doctor of Physical Therapy Program. Poster at APTA Annual Conference and Exposition. Salt Lake City, UT, 2013
- Wong R, Avers D, Barr JO, Ciolek C, Klima D, Thompson M. Recommendations to Address the Growing Physical Therapy Workforce Shortage in Geriatrics. Poster at 16th International World Confederation of Physical Therapy Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands 2011.
- Academy of Geriatric Physical Therapy, American Physical Therapy Association. Essential Competencies in the Care of Older Adults at the Completion of the Entry-level Physical Therapist Professional Program of Study. http://www.geriatricspt.org/pdfs/Section-On-Geriatrics-Essential-Competencies-2011.pdf Published September 2011.
- Ross C, Ciolek C. 10,000 Steps: Do Adults Understand Their Current Level of Physical Activity? Poster at APTA Annual Conference and Exposition. National Harbor, MD, 2011.
- Haley R, Danks K, Reisman D, Ciolek C. Quad Strength with Electrical Stimulation helps patient Post Stroke with Knee Osteoarthritis Return to Function. Poster at APTA Combined Sections Meeting, New Orleans, LA 2011.
- Ciampa J, Sions JM, Ciolek C, Manal TJ Physical Therapy Interventions for an Older Adult with Low Back Pain and History of Scoliosis. Platform at APTA Combined Sections Meeting Las Vegas, NV, 2009.
- Ciolek C, Schaeffer M. Intergenerational Physical Therapy. Poster at APTA Combined Sections Meeting, Nasvhille TN, 2008
- Ciolek C, Delaune MF. Falls in Community Dwelling Older Adults- Part II: Examination and Evaluation. PT Magazine CEU Article, Nov 2007.
- Brewer K, Ciolek C, Delaune MF, Newton RA, Williams A Falls in Community Dwelling Older Adults: Introduction to the Problem. PT Magazine CEU Article, July 2007.
- Ciolek C. PHYSICAL THERAPY FOR A PATIENT WITH TBI- Using skilled interventions and collaborative teamwork to help a patient attain full participation in his community. Platform presentation at APTA Annual Conference. June 2006, Orlando FL.
- Ciolek C. Physical Therapy Examination's Key Role in Establishing Medical Diagnosis in a Patient With Lower Extremity Pain Related to Walking. APTA Annual Conference. Feb 2006, San Diego, CA
- Ciolek C, Ciolek DE- Clinical Management of Physical and Chemical Restraints. A home study module for the Section on Geriatrics, APTA 2005.
Ciolek C, Ciolek DE- Clinical Management of Physical Restraints. A home study module for the Section on Geriatrics, APTA 1998.
Ciolek CH, Geigle PR. Age and water do mix. Rehab Management. 2002; 15(1)
- Wellmon R, Gardner L, Conway J, Heinrich K, Melnick M, Rao M, Totman M, Herlihey J, Ciolek C. The Activities-Specific Balance Confidence (ABC) Scale: The Relationship to measures of standing balance, gait speed, and age in elderly individuals. Poster at Physical therapy 2001: Annual Conference and Exposition of the APTA.
- Ciolek CH. Finding a way to improve quality of life: Meet Meryl McCormack, PT, MPA, GCS. GeriNotes. 2000; 7(5)
- Ciolek CH. American Physical Therapy Association’s recent initiatives in restraint reduction. Untie the Elderly. 2000; 12(1)
- Ciolek CH. Direct access to physical therapy services. GeriNotes, 2000. 7(2)
- Ciolek CH. Meet Carol Glasscock, PT, MS of FIT FOR LIFE™. GeriNotes. 2000; 7(1)
- Ciolek CH. Task Force on Alternative Environments/ Models of Care Delivery and Management: Expanding to meet member’s needs. GeriNotes. 1999; 6(6)
- Ciolek CH. The HCFA’s new restraint standards for acute care Hospitals. GeriNotes. 1999; 6(6)
Ciolek CH. The Eden Alternative. GeriNotes. 1999; 6(1)
- Ciolek CH. One simple act of listening. GeriNotes. 1998; 5(5)
- Ciolek CH. Quality of life in nursing homes: An oxymoron? GeriNotes. 1998; 5(4)
- Ciolek CH. How to reduce restraints with wheelchair seating and positioning. Gerisource. 1997; 2(2)
Last Updated 5/23/11