|Vol. 17, No. 30||May 7, 1998|
The 149th Commencement of the University of Delaware will take place at 9 a.m., Saturday, May 30, in Delaware Stadium, rain or shine. Featured speaker will be William Raspberry, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and urban affairs columnist for the Washington Post.
After the Commencement exercises, Convocation ceremonies for each college-including departmental convocations for the College of Arts and Science-will occur at locations throughout campus. Each ceremony will last approximately one hour. No tickets are required unless otherwise noted.
Following is a list of this year's Commencement and Convocation ceremonies:
College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, 11:30 a.m., Mitchell Hall. For information, call 831-2501.
College of Arts and Science Departmental Convocations
College of Business and Economics, 1:30 p.m., Bob Carpenter Center. For information, call 831-2551.
For further information on the arts and science ceremonies, call 831-2351.
- Department of Anthropology, 11:30 a.m., Munroe Hall.
- Departments of Art, Art Conservation, Art History, Music and Theatre, 1:30 p.m., Mitchell Hall.
- Department of Biological Sciences, 11:30 a.m., Carpenter Sports Building.
- Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, 11:30 a.m., Pearson Hall auditorium.
- Department of Communication, 11:30 a.m., Loudis Recital Hall, Amy E. du Pont Music Building.
- Department of Computer and Information Sciences, Noon, Room 140, Smith Hall.
- Department of English, 12:30 p.m., Clayton Hall auditorium.
- Department Foreign Languages and Literatures, 1:30 p.m., Loudis Recital Hall, Amy E. du Pont Music Building.
- Departments of Geography and Geology and Environmental Science Program, 1:30 p.m., Pearson Hall auditorium.
- Department of History, 1:30 p.m., Trabant University Center.
- Department of Mathematical Sciences, 11:30 a.m., Room 115, Purnell Hall.
- Department of Philosophy, 11:30 a.m., Case Study Room, Purnell Hall. Contact department for details.
- Department of Physics, 11:30 a.m., Room 100, Sharp Laboratory.
- Department of Political Science and International Relations and Arts and Science Economics, 11:30 a.m., Trabant University Center.
- Department of Psychology, 11:30 a.m., Room 101 A/B, Clayton Hall.
- Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice Program, 1:30 p.m., Delaware Field House.
- Women's Studies Program, 3 p.m., Room 209-211, Trabant University Center.
- Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies and Medical Scholars Program, 11:30 a.m., Room 125, Clayton Hall.
College of Engineering, 2 p.m., Room 101 A/B, Clayton Hall. For information, call 831-2401.
College of Health and Nursing Sciences, 11:30 a.m., Delaware Field House. For information, call 831-2381.
College of Human Resources, Education and Public Policy, 11:30 a.m., Bob Carpenter Center. For information, call 831-2301.
School of Urban Affairs and Public Policy, Graduate Program, 1:30 p.m., 130 Smith Hall. For information, call 831-2394.
Educational Development and Educational Studies Graduate Program, 1:30 p.m., 120 Smith Hall.
Individual and Family Studies Graduate Program, 1:30 p.m., 208 Gore Hall.
College of Marine Studies, 11:30 a.m., Ewing Room, Perkins Student Center. For information, call 831-1487.
Ice skaters who train at the University's Ice Skating Science Development Center will be practicing and performing informal programs from 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Saturday, May 30, in the Fred Rust Ice Arena. Guests are welcome to visit.
Box lunches, at $7.25 each, may be reserved in advance through Dining Services. Call 831-6761 for reservation and pickup information.
All degree candidates must wear academic caps and gowns. These are available through the University Bookstore. Call 831-2637 for information.
In the event of heavy rain or storm conditions only, the Commencement program will be shortened. If this occurs, a revised schedule for the start of Convocation programs-in which the college and department Convocation ceremonies will begin one hour earlier than originally scheduled-will be announced at Delaware Stadium prior to the beginning of the abbreviated Commencement ceremony.
For general information about Commencement and Convocation events, contact the Office of Alumni and University Relations at 831- 2341.