|Vol. 17, No. 13||Dec. 4, 1997|
'Power of U'
University surpasses United Way campaign goal
Elizabeth MacKenzie (left), agricultural sciences, won $800 toward a trip of her choice in a recent drawing for United Way campaign incentives. The prize was donated by Roberta Campbell (right) of Campbell Travel.
The University community is living proof of the 1997 United Way campaign theme-"The Power of U-Without U There's No Way." More than 1,680 members of the campus community exceeded this year's goal of $185,000 by contributing $206,971 to the United Way of Delaware.
President David Roselle announced the results of the University's highly successful campaign at a reception, held Nov. 20 for solicitors and contributors who were incentive winners.
Under the 1997 UD incentive program, participating employees were eligible for a number of prizes. Those who contributed at least $5 per pay ($120 annually) were eligible for a chance to win $800 towards a trip of their choice.
Those who donated at least $3 per pay ($72 total) had a chance to be selected for all University of Delaware trips.
Employees who gave $1 per pay ($24 total) had a chance to win all the other incentives.
Winner of the most sought-after prize-$800 toward a trip of the winner's choice, donated by Campbell Travel-was Elizabeth MacKenzie, agricultural sciences.
Other prizes and winners of the 1997 campaign are listed below:
- Two round-trip train tickets to New York City or Washington, D.C., including one night of hotel accommodations, donated by University Travel Services-Laura Eisenman, educational studies;
- Virden Center weekend accommodations for two, donated by Conferences and Centers/ Lewes-Barbara Graham, facilities;
- Motor coach transportation to New York City for two, donated by continuing education-Lisa Plowfield, nursing;
- Tickets for performances of the Performing Arts Series, Blue and Gold Series, donated by alumni and University relations-Karen Aniunas, agricultural sciences; and Saul Hoffman, economics;
- Tickets for Performing Arts Series performance, donated by alumni and University relations-Cynthia Carroll, counseling and student development; and Gabriella Hermon, educational studies;
- Tickets for Performing Arts Series, Junior Series, donated by alumni and University relations-Elaine Eppler, animal and food sciences; and Cynthia Sterling, accounts payable;
- Gift certificates for performances at the Bob Carpenter Center, donated by the Bob Carpenter Center-Carla Humphries-Taylor, business and economics; and Joseph Matterer, English Language Institute;
- Delaware 4-H Cookbook, donated by Cooperative Extension-Debbie Kilby, international programs and special sessions, and Mary Anne Poulos, drug and alcohol studies;
- One week at 4-H camp for one child, donated by Cooperative Extension-Amy Connell, billing and collection;
- Complimentary family memberships, donated by Delaware Nature Society-James Thornton, economics; and Karen Lofthouse, Bob Carpenter Center;
- Blue and Gold Club one-year memberships, donated by Dining Services-Matt Shipp, continuing education; and Barbara McDowell, University Bookstore;
- Certificate for a Blue and Gold Club Basketball Pregame meal in the Tavern, donated by Dining Services-Norma Gaines-Hanks, human resources, education and public policy;
- Blue and Gold Club dinner for two, donated by Dining Services-Pat McGough, electrical and computer engineering;
- A $25 gift certificate of UD Dining Flex Dollars, donated by Dining Services-Judith Greene, Center for Teaching Effectiveness;
- Two nights of accommodations at the University Guest Apartments, donated by Housing and Conference Services-Victor Martuza, educational studies;
- Women's basketball tickets, donated by Intercollegiate Athletics Program- Yoga Pandya, animal and food sciences;
- Men's basketball tickets, donated by Intercollegiate Athletics Program- Norman Ness, Bartol Research Institute;
- Longwood Gardens admission tickets, donated by Longwood Gardens- Christine Pennington, alumni relations; and Patricia Moeller, education;
- One 8 x 10 color photograph, donated by the Office of Public Relations- Elizabeth Parisan, counseling and student development;
- Gold parking permit or equivalent credit toward the cost of a gate or reserve parking pass, donated by the Department of Public Safety-David Mills, electrical and computer engineering;
- YoUDee-Gram, donated by the Office of Public Relations-Sheila Cushing, nursing;
- One-year pool membership, donated by Recreation and Intramural Programs-Stephen Hegedus, energy conversion;
- Ice skating passes, donated by Recreation and Intramural Programs- Lisa Grimsley, English Language Institute; Robert Rohs, business administration; George Bear, educational studies; and Joanne Marra, nursing;
- Linen services at the Carpenter Sports Building, donated by Recreation and Intramural Programs-Janice Lefebvre, English Language Institute; and Kathleen Murphy, educational studies;
- Professional Theatre Training Program season tickets for two, donated by the Department of Theatre-Debra Norris, art conservation;
- Taste of Brandywine membership, donated by the U-Del Credit Union-Dorothy Windish, Delaware Geological Survey;
- YoUDee doll, donated by University Bookstore-Sharon Mitchell, counseling and student development; and
- $25 gift certificates, donated by University Bookstore-Maria Garbayo, art; and Barbara Necarsulmer, business and economics.
Southern Delaware winners
- Tickets to the Summer Arts Festival, donated by University relations-Henry Nyce, University Parallel Program, Georgetown; Joan Howard and Barbara Stevens, both conferences, Lewes; Chuck Howard, operations maintenance, Lewes; and Dawn Conaway, University Parallel Program, Dover;
- Yuletide Candlelight Tour tickets, donated by Winterthur Museum- Jan Daisey, operations maintenance, Lewes; and
- Overnight accommodations with a continental breakfast for two, donated by the Hotel du Pont-Ann Colwell, University Parallel Program, Georgetown.
Photo by Jack Buxbaum