|Vol. 19, No. 8||Oct. 21, 1999|
Work began in the fall of 1997 to restore the former St. Thomas Episcopal Church, which dates from 1845. The restoration included replacing deteriorating stucco, restoring the front doors and stained glass windows and adding a new roof. Interior repair and restoration and landscaping added to the total project.
The 1,600-square-foot-building, now used for musical performances, lectures and other special events, seats about 82 persons for a theatre-style performance or about 60 for a dinner.
Last year, the building was renamed in honor of the friend and benefactor who made a gift to the University toward the renovation and restoration of the former church.
A state-of-the-art pipe organ was donated by Edward and Naomi Jefferson and will be installed in Bayard Sharp Hall beginning in the spring of 2000.
Better Newark Awards were established 13 years ago to recognize property owners of houses and businesses who attempt to improve the appearance of their property through structural renovations and landscaping, thereby enhancing the image of the entire community.
The award is presented in the form of a proclamation, signed by Newark Mayor Hal Godwin, accompanied by a large photograph of the property, suitable for display. A photo of the property also is displayed in the lobby of City Hall.
Photo by Jack Buxbaum