Alpha Lambda Delta announces awards

Two members of the University of Delaware chapter of Alpha Lambda Delta won the national organization's Kathryn Sisson Phillips Fellowships for graduate study during the next academic year. Daniel R. Dries of Gilbertsville, Pa., and Cheryl A. Smith of Sparta, N.J., were two of only 20 students to receive the fellowships, which are granted annually to Alpha Lambda Delta members.

Dries and Smith are the first students from UD to win ALD fellowships. They are members of UD's honors program and both are Honors Degree Distinguished Fellows.

Alpha Lambda Delta is a national honor society that recognizes academic excellence during a student's first year in college. Founded in 1924, the organization now has 215 chapters throughout the nation. The University of Delaware's chapter was formed in 1993. At UD, students must have a freshman-year grade point average of at least 3.60 to be elected to membership.

Dries, a biochemistry major, plans to pursue doctoral studies in neuroscience. He has been a Russell and Senior Fellow for the honors program at UD and the coordinator of the overnight campus visit program. He is a Blue Hen Ambassador, a member of the University's marching band and the recipient of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute Scholarship. Dries also was the UD nominee for a Rhodes Scholarship this year.

Smith, an anthropology and history major, plans to attend the University of California at Berkeley for doctoral work in anthropology. She has done archaeological fieldwork in Europe and the United States. Smith has been a Russell Fellow for the honors program, is the recipient of the First Year Honors Certificate and is a Blue Hen Ambassador.

Jan Blits, professor of education and faculty advisor of UD's chapter, said, "I'm sure that I speak for Alpha Lambda Delta, UD's honors program and the University when I say how delighted I am that two of our fine students have won this highly prestigious award. Daniel and Cheryl are outstanding students and we can all be very proud of them."

Ann Ardis, director of the University honors program, said, "Dan and Cheryl have both taken advantage of UD's many intellectual resources while they have been here. And we all look forward to hearing splendid things about what lies ahead in their graduate careers."

March 8, 2000