University of Delaware Office of Public Relations The Messenger Vol. 5, No. 4/1996 Athletic complex named for Nelson The athletic complex on the University's south campus has been named the David M. Nelson Athletic Complex, in recognition of the late Blue Hen head football coach, athletic director and dean of the College of Physical Education, Athletics and Recreation. Mr. Nelson was responsible, while head football coach, for the innovative Wing-T offense, still used in Delaware game plans. Known as "The Admiral," Mr. Nelson helped develop the women's intercollegiate athletic program. The Nelson Sports Complex includes the Bob Carpenter Sports/Convocation Center, Delaware Stadium, Delaware Diamond, the Delaware Field House and the Blue and Gold ice arenas, along with numerous playing fields. Mr. Nelson, who came to Delaware in 1951, served as athletic director from 1951-84, head football coach from 1951-66 and dean of the college from 1980 until his retirement in 1989. He died in 1991. Considered the foremost authority on collegiate football rules, Mr. Nelson was a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Football Rules Committee since 1957 and was secretary and editor of the committee from 1962 until his death. In honor of his contributions to college football, he was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1987 and to the Delaware Sports Hall of Fame in 1978. He received the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame's Distinguished American Award in 1984.