Christopher M. Modlesky
- Exercise, nutrition and tissue (bone, muscle and adipose) development
- Disabilities and chronic disease
- Ph.D., The University of Georgia, 2002
- M.A., The University of Georgia, 1995
- B.S., State University of New York, 1992
- 2002-present, Assistant Professor, University of Delaware
- 1998-2002, Research Coordinator, Department of Foods and Nutrition, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- 1994-1998, Laboratory Technician III, Department of Foods and Nutrition, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- 1992-1994, Graduate Teaching Assistant, The University of Georgia
- NTDT/HESC 667, Physical Activity, Nutrition and Skeletal Health
- NTDT 615, Nutrition and Activity
- NTDT 310, Nutrition and Activity
- NTDT 401, Micronutrients
- Modlesky, C.M., Slade, J.M., Bickel, C.S., Meyer, R.A., Dudley, G.A. Deteriorated geometric structure and strength of the mid-femur of men with complete spinal cord injury. Bone (in press).
- Modlesky, C.M., Majumdar, S., Narasimhan, A., Dudley and G.A. Trabecular bone microarchitecture is deteriorated in men with spinal cord injury J Bone Miner Res 19(1):48-55, 2004.
- Modlesky, C.M., Bickel, C.S., Slade, J.M., Meyer, R.A., Cureton, K.J., Dudley, G.A. Assessment of skeletal muscle mass in men with spinal cord injury using dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and magnetic resonance imaging. J Appl Physiol 96:561-65, 2004.
- Slade, J.M., Bickel, S.B., Modlesky, C.M., Majumdar, S., Dudley, G.A. Trabecular bone is more deteriorated in spinal cord injured versus estrogen-free postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int. (in press).
- Laing, E.M., Wilson, A.R., Modlesky, C.M., O’Connor, P.J., Hall, D.B., Lewis, R.D. Initial years of recreational gymnastics training improves lumbar spine bone mineral accrual in 4 to 8 year old females J Bone Miner Res (in press).
- Clfuentes, M., Heymsfield, S., Johnson, M.A., Lewis, R.D., Modlesky, C.M., Shapses, S. Bone turnover and body weight relationships differ in normal-weight compared to heavier postmenopausal women. Osteoporosis Int 14(2):116-22, 2003.
- Poudevigne, P.J., O'Connor, P.J., Laing, E.M., Modlesky, C.M. and Lewis, R.D. Body images of 4-8 year old girls at the onset of their first gymnastics class. Int J Eat Disord 34:244-250, 2003.
- Laing, E.M., Massoni, J.A., Nichols-Richardson, S.M., Modlesky, C.M., Lewis, R.D. A prospective study of bone mass and body composition in female adolescent gymnasts. J Pediatr 141(2):211-6, 2002.
- Modlesky, C.M. and Lewis, R.D. Does exercise during growth have a long-term effect on bone health? Exerc Sport Sci Rev 30(4):171-6, 2002.
- Prior, B.M., Modlesky, C.M., Evans, E.M., Sloniger, M.A, Saunders, M.J., Lewis, R.D, and Cureton, K.J. Muscularity and density of the fat-free mass in athletes. J Appl Physiol. 90(4):1523-31, 2001.
- Evans, E.M., Prior, B.M., Modlesky, C.M., Sloniger, MA. , Lewis, R.D. and Cureton, K.J. Relation of bone mineral content and density to mineral content of the fat-free mass. J Appl Physiol 91(5):2166-72, 2001.
- Millard-Stafford ML, Collins MA, Modlesky CM, Snow TK, Rosskopf LB. Effect of race and resistance training status on the density of fat-free mass and percent fat estimates. J Appl Physiol. 91(3):1259-68, 2001.
- Nickols-Richardson, Modlesky, C.M., O’Connor, P.J. and Lewis, R.D. Gymnasts possess higher bone mineral density than controls. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 32(1): 63-69, 2000.
- Modlesky, C.M., Evans, E.M., Millard-Stafford, M.L., Collins, M.A., Lewis, R.D. and Cureton, K.J. Impact of bone mineral estimates on percent fat estimates from a four-component model. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 31(12):1861-1868, 1999.
- Lewis, R.D. and Modlesky, C.M. Nutrition, physical activity, and bone health in women. Int J Sport Nutr. 8:250-284, 1998.
- Prior, B.M., Cureton, K.J., Modlesky, C.M., Evans, E.M., Sloniger, M.A, and Lewis, R.D. In vivo validation of while-body composition estimates from dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. J Appl Physiol. 83(2): 623-630, 1997.
- Modlesky, C.M., Lewis, R.D., Yetman, K.A., Rose, B., Rosskopf, L.B., Snow, T.K. and Sparling, P.B. Comparison of body composition and bone mineral measurements from two DXA instruments in young men. Am J Clin Nutr. 64:669-676, 1996.
- Modlesky, C.M., Cureton, K.J., Lewis, R.D., Prior, B.M., Sloniger, M.A. and Rowe, D.A. Density of the fat-free mass and estimates of body composition in male weight trainers. J Appl Physiol. 80(6): 2085-2096, 1996.
- Modlesky, C.M. and Lewis, R.D. Body measurement and body composition. In. Sports Nutrition: A Guide for the Professional Working with Active People, 3rd Ed, Rosenbloom, C. (ed.), The American Dietetic Association, Chicago (1999).
Honors, Awards, and Major Professional Offices Held
- University of Delaware Research Foundation (2004-2005), $29,867, Skeletal Status in Physically Active Children, Role: Principle Investigator
- United Cerebral Palsy Research and Educational Foundation: (2004-2005), Bone Structure of Children with Cerebral Palsy, Role: Principle Investigator
- Center for Research Development, College of Health and Nursing Sciences, University of Delaware (2003), Assessment of Musculoskeletal Status in Children Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Role: Principle Investigator
Dietetics Home Page | University of Delaware Home Page |