Current Research and Professional Interests
- Fitness Management
- Physical Activity
- Health Promotion
- Ph.D. University of Connecticut - 1990
- M.A. University of Connecticut - 1982
- B.A. Honors. Rhodes University, South Africa - 1979
- Associate Professor, University of Delaware 1990-present
- Adjunct Faculty, Center for Health and Fitness, University of Connecticut 1988-1999
- Head Women's Volleyball Coach, University of Connecticut 1983-1986
- HESC 155 - Personal Health Management: An Approach for a Lifetime
- HESC 263 - Leadership Practicum
- HESC 354 - Seminar in Fitness Management
- HESC 432 - Basic Exercise Prescription
- HESC 445 - Concepts in Physical Fitness Testing
- HESC 464 - Internship in Fitness Management
Peterson, P.M., Abraham, A. and D. A. Warterfield, “ Marketing Physical Activity: Lessons Learned From a Statewide Media Campaign”. Health Promotion Practice, Vol.1, 2004 .
Abraham, A., Peterson, P.M., and D.A. Waterfield “ The Delaware Lieutenant Governor’s Challenge: First Year Results”, Med Sci Sports and Exercise Vol 35(5), 2004(Abstract).
Bauer, Karen, Bauer, Gabriele, and Abraham, Avron, “A Model for General Education and Its Assessment at a Research University”, Peer Review, Vol. 5, # 3, Spring, 2003.
A.Abraham, P.M. Peterson, D.A.Waterfield, “ Efficacy of a Statewide Social Marketing Campaign to Promote Physical Activity, Med Sci Sports and Exercise Vol 34(5), 2003(Abstract)
Editor with D.A. Waterfield of the Delaware Coalition to Promote Physical Activity Newsletter , Dec 1998, June 1999, Jan 2000, June 2000, Jan 2001.
Abraham.A.and P.Phebus ” Perceived Benefits and Barriers to Physical Activity and Compliance, Among Nurses”. Med Sci Sports and Exercise Vol 32(5), 2000 (Abstract)
Abraham, A. and C.S. Thomas “ The Effects of Music Tempo on Self-Selected Exercise Intensity In Active Female College Students. Med Sci Sports and Exercise Vol 31(5), 1999. ( Abstract)
- “Commitment to Personal Health” Wadsworth Publishing Company, 2003
- “The Process of Physical Fitness and Standards Development”, Constable and Palmer , Human Systems IAC SOAR, 2000 ( Summer 2002)
- “ Exercise Management Concepts and Professional Practice” Mackinnon et al. Human Kinetics 2002
- Reviewed text for Human Kinetics “Sport Physiology: A Practitioner’s Guide” ( This was a full comprehensive review for the publisher) , Summer 2001.
- Jackson et al. “ Physical Activity for Health and Fitness” Doody’s Health Science Book Review Journal, 2000.
- Tanaka et al. “ Exercise for Preventing Common Diseases” Doody’s Health Sciences Book review Journal,2000
- Evelyn R. Hayes, PhD, RN, CS-FNP & Avron Abraham, PhD “Make A Difference: Service Learning Opportunities” Nursing Education Summit, 2003.
- A. Abraham and S. Goodwin, “Teaching Wellness a Case Study Approach”, EDA/SDA, Baltimore MD Feb 2002
- Keynote Presentation: Delaware Health and Physical Education Teachers, Oct 2002 ( approx 200 attendees) ( Invited)
- Abraham and D.A. Waterfield, National Association of Health and Fitness: “ Delaware’s Get UP and Do Something Campaign, Indianapolis, April 2002
Funded grants or contracts
“Develop and Implement a Campaign to Promote Physical Activity and Proper Nutrition”, Funded by the Delaware Division of Public Health with D.A. Waterfield, P.M. Peterson. (Approx $2,000,000) 2000-2004.
State, regional, and national professional activities
- Delaware Governor’s Council on Lifestyles and Fitness(1998-present)
- Governing Board of The National Association For Health and Fitness: The Network of State and Governors Councils ( 2001-present)
- Chair of The Delaware Coalition to Promote Physical Activity ( helped organize one day conference held June 1999and 2000 developed a strategic plan and coordinated with the National Coalition to Promote Physical Activity)
University Faculty Senate: President – Elect, 2004
- University General Education Committee (2000-present)
- Chair 2001-2004
- Review grants for General Education Initiative
- Helped organize General Education Summer Institute 2002, 2003)
- Made presentations related to General Education Initiative to Faculty Senate
- Coordinated writing of General Education Initiative three year report.
- CURC - Committee on Undergraduate Records and Certification (2002-present)
- Faculty representative: Board of Trustees Committee on Student Life and Athletics ( 2002-present)
- AAUP Executive Committee, Treasurer ( 1997-2002)
and Exercise Sciences Home Page | University
of Delaware Home Page |