Career and Major Decisions
How To Make Decisions
This model may be helpful as you try to make important decisions.
1. Identify the decision you need to make.
2. Develop a list of options. Brainstorm all of the possible choices you have.
3. Get facts and information about each option. Consider:
a. the pros and cons of each alternative.
b. the risks of each alternative.
c. the likely consequences of each alternative.
If this step is challenging, try the Pros and Cons Exercise to help.
4. Evaluate your options and select one. If this process feels overwhelming, try the Paired Comparisons Exercise to help.
5. Plan the steps needed to act on your decision. Setting goals with some specific deadlines is helpful.
Center for Counseling & Student Development
261 Perkins Student Center, Newark, DE 19716