Resources for Students With Disabilities
We have adaptive equipment for users with disabilities in our Career Library at 401 Academy Street. Come check them out!
ZoomText: Need help with your resume or cover letter? Having trouble reading documents on the computer or using the resources on our web site? Career Services is pleased to announce that the ZoomText version 9.1 magnifier/reader computer program is now available to students with visual or other reading disabilities. Magnifying the text on the screen from 1x-36x or having documents or items on our web site read aloud are just some of the features of ZoomText.
- ZoomTwix/Zoom-Ex: Capture and read career documents and books quickly and easily for real-time reading or store for reading at a future date. With ZoomTwix you can see distant objects up close such as Career Services workshop slides. ZoomTwix automatically focuses on printed material close up and on objects far away.
- Adjustable Table -- We have purchased a computer table that can be adjusted to meet your needs for conducting career research on the computer or with our printed materials.
Job Sites and Other Web Resources:
- Disability.gov -
provides information about government jobs for people with disabilities and offers other resources to aid in their job search.
- Disability Resources - features links to many other sites that provide information and support to individuals with disabilities looking for work.
- Disaboom - provides information and resources for people living with disabilities. A few of the topics include travel, education, sports, entertainment, and rights for disabled individuals.
- Disabled Online
- offers a variety of resources from specialized computer equipment to classifieds for those seeking employment. There are also medical resources and information about benefits specifically for people with disabilities.
- Job Accommodation Network- offers accommodation ideas for people with various disabilities; resources for employers, individuals, and others assisting people with disabilities. There are also links to publications and resources, as well as extensive information on the Americans with Disabilities Act and the amendments made to it.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act- provides information about ADA and answers frequently asked questions about the details of the act.
- The Opportunity Center (OCI) - offers information on rehabilitation programs, resources for veterans with disabilities, and housing programs.
- The Association on Higher Education and Disabilities -
offers information for students with disabilities who are transitioning to, or are currently in, higher education.
- The US Office of Disability Employment Policy - has information on policies, programs, technical assistance centers, and other resources.
- Unum - This is a company that helps to achieve better benefits for people with disabilities within their current place of employment.
- U.S. Office of Personnel Management - provides definitions of the laws and Executive Orders when hiring a person with disabilities, and answers FAQs about employment discrimination. It also explains the federal disability hiring programs around the country.
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission - contains information on the federal laws which make it illegal for employers to discriminate against applicants and employees for various reasons including the person’s disability or genetic information. Information on to file a complaint is also provided.
- USAJobs.gov resources for individuals with disabilities - has job listings and information for people with disabilities who are interested in working for the federal government.
- We Connect Now Blog - written by college students with disabilities, a section containing multiple links with information for people with specific disabilities, job listings, and other essential resources.